Community
Meshmixer
Welcome to Autodesk’s Meshmixer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Meshmixer topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help! How to obain the hole stl file created by the "hollow" function?

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
xuyichen10
279 Views, 2 Replies

Need Help! How to obain the hole stl file created by the "hollow" function?

Hello, I find the "hollow" function of Meshmixer is very nice, and this tool can create holes for the object.

I also want to obtain the stl file of the created hole, but I failed after trying many times. 

微信图片_20210716044126.png

If I subtract the bunny model with the hole from the original bunny model, something wrong happened...This calculation took a long time and gave me a wrong file (see figure below)

微信图片_20210716044152.png

It looks like the two bunny models did not perfectly match, which resulted in a lot of pieces being generated on the surface.

Can someone tell me how can I obtain the stl file of the hole created by the "hollow" function? I want to print the bunny and the hole separately and assemble them together.

Thank you in advance.😀

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
MagWeb
in reply to: xuyichen10

Boolean operations might fail if there are redundant surfaces involved. You might try to enable the HandleCo-Planarity option which might work...

Seems you're trying to get an object with a hole and a plug fitting to that hole. Doing it the save way:

1. Hollow your object without a hole
  2. From MESHMIX/Primitives drag and drop the cylinder onto your object, move/scale it to the desired location/size while CompositionMode = CreateNewObject. Make sure that the cylinder intersects the ex- and interior shell of the hollowed source object 
  3. EDIT/Duplicate the cylinder and the source object
  4. Activate one pair of source and cylinder and run BooleanDifference
  5. Activate the other pair and run BooleanIntersection

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 3 of 3
xuyichen10
in reply to: MagWeb

Thank you! My problem has been perfectly solved, you are a great engineer!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums