Community
Meshmixer
Welcome to Autodesk’s Meshmixer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Meshmixer topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help cleaning this scan

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
hfcandrew
425 Views, 5 Replies

Need help cleaning this scan

I have this scan of a foot, it is non-manifold, and the main surface of the foot is fine with correct normals, but higher up the sides of the foot the normals are flipped incorrectly, non-manifold, and there is a 'seam' but it is connected at several points, so the whole file is just one shell.

Non-manifold.png

Can I get some help welding the boundaries, all the tools and function (Bridge, Join, Weld Boundaries) keep failing on me. Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
MagWeb
in reply to: hfcandrew

When you do EDIT/GenerateFaceGroups at defaults it generates two main groups and many tiny groups:

Ohne Titel.jpeg

Select the flipped main group by double click and run Edit/FlipNormals. Select that group again and Separate it hitting Y.

Select the main group at the sole object and manually add the missed groups at the toes. Invert this selection to select the messy stuff and discard it.

You should end up with something like:

Ohne Titel 2.jpeg

Now go to SCULPT and use a smooth brush to polish the "contact boundaries" on both parts:

Ohne Titel 5.jpeg

Combine both parts and use SELECT/Edit/Bridge to create some connections between the shells.

Ohne Titel 6.jpeg

In ANALYSIS/Inspector click the spheres pointing to interior issues (you don't want to close the outer boundary)

Ohne Titel 9.jpeg

We smoothed the seams with SCULPT. This might have deformed the scanning result. We need to make sure that the fixed result still fits to scan.

So append the source mesh to the scene once again and set it as a target clicking the magnet in the object browser (the source mesh should be transparent blue now).

SelectAll of the fixed mesh and run Edit/AttactToTarget:

Ohne Titel 10.jpeg

Fixed:

Ohne Titel 11.jpeg

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 3 of 6
hfcandrew
in reply to: MagWeb

Thanks MagWeb. You are so good at MM haha! Okay, I almost got it.

The inspector tool keeps failing, so I tried discarding more triangles at the messy points, and cut off the toes too as I don't need them for this task and also added more bridges but still not working.Inspector fail.png

Message 4 of 6
MagWeb

If open boundaries are to close together (means there are not enough triangles between the boundaries) MM can't handle non manifold repairing. On your image you see the red faces reach from one boundary to another so the different holes are treated as a single issue.

So create the bridges "wider" and increase the mesh density (SelectAll > EditRemesh  with Density above zero%)

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 5 of 6
hfcandrew
in reply to: MagWeb

Yep you got it! And ended up using the refine brush on some of the fail points which were located at the bridges:

Remesh - Final.png

And I actually figure out a second way to do it using erase and fill:Erase and fill - Final.png

Thanks so much again! And my patient thanks you too because now I don't have to have her book time off work just to come back in for an appointment to be rescanned!

- Andrew

Message 6 of 6
MagWeb

You're welcome.

And yep, many roads lead to Rome.

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report