Community
Meshmixer
Welcome to Autodesk’s Meshmixer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Meshmixer topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MM beta and feedback community

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
robert68ZEY
478 Views, 7 Replies

MM beta and feedback community

Can someone please explain what the deal is with the beta and the feedback community here? Why is the beta listed as v3.3.459 from Dec 2017?

Is there still active development of MM? 

This program has such potential but certain features and bugs are infuriating. I will gladly pay a license fee to use this software if it would get me a program that I can reliably use for professional work.

I'm stuck with the feeling that I'm wasting my time trying to make MM work for me, but every time I try to use a different program I find myself wishing for the ease of MM. I am using Zbrush, Geomagic and Netfab but there are certain things that MM just does so much easier and quicker. 

My biggest issues currently are how MM handles large data sets. It just becomes impractical on huge files. A simple feature change, like removing the live update on all intensive actions like offset or remesh and adding an 'update' button (like make solid has) would be such a huge improvement.

Wondering where else I can post these grievances if this is the wrong place to do it. 

Thank you

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
MagWeb
in reply to: robert68ZEY

Agree 100%. MM ships a unique set of tools in a wide range needing just some polishing. Maybe this is the either problem making it hard to find its place in a company's product portfolio? Its swiss-army-knife idea worked as a research project but maybe there are too many intersections to paid products?

Well, as you said, this beta is December 2017. It's the last beta done by the Autodesk Research team (wonder why this is still online). Things changed in January 2018...

@Andrew.Sartorelli : Maybe you could drop some lines here?

I know about those issues handling big files in MM.

Two things (maybe you're already aware of):

- Hands off slider input!! Use numerical input instead (double clicking the displayed values).

- Many tools remember the last used settings. So before entering the tool with a big task use some tiny object (or selection) first - just to set the settings. Now Cancel and enter the tool with the either task...

The request to get rid of the startup calculations is a very old one. As it never came, I fear this is due to a very low level implementation.

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 3 of 8
robert68ZEY
in reply to: MagWeb

Is there someone we can send bug reports to? I've had dozens of crashes in the past day. 

Is there anyone at all from Autodesk that is monitoring this forum?

Message 4 of 8
MagWeb

Not sure any more...

@Andrew.Sartorelli should address the community manager....

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 5 of 8
robert68ZEY

Thank you Magweb. Can tell me easiest direct way to contact Andrew? I don't see a way to contact him when I click on the handle link you included.

Message 6 of 8
MagWeb

There's a sticky Welcome topic in the MM main board.

Hover over Andrew's name and click on "Send private message"

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 7 of 8
robert68ZEY

thank you, I sent him something just now.

Message 8 of 8

Hi @robert68ZEY ,

Thank you for your feedback and submitting the error reports. As product owner for several of our solutions in the additive manufacturing space I strive for us to be responsive to customer reported issue, although resolution of all issue is regrettably not always possible. As you've noticed updates to Meshmixer have slowed down a bit this past year. This slowdown shouldn't be interpretted as Autodesk abandoning the mesh creation and manipulation space. Meshmixer has set of very strong set of technology that underlies it, some of which is already used in products like Netfabb.

In terms of future plans I can’t discuss any of that regrettably, as priorities and directions can change so I wouldn’t want to potentially mislead you.  At present, we don’t have any plans to discontinue the free access to Meshmixer for both commercial and non-commercial users; and will continue to enable and encourage the Meshmixer community by hosting this dedicated forum and the Meshmixer Manual.  

Best Regards,

Andrew Sartorelli

Product Owner, Additive Manufacturing

Andrew Sartorelli - Autodesk GmbH

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report