Community
Meshmixer
Welcome to Autodeskโ€™s Meshmixer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Meshmixer topics.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Meshmixer for tidying up 3D scan

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
John_in_NZ
477 Views, 5 Replies

Meshmixer for tidying up 3D scan

I'm pretty new to Meshmixer, so please excuse me if this has been covered elsewhere.

I'm trying to replicate a part for a friend, and the starting point was a mirror image of the part that needs making, so I've had the part scanned, and flipped it to generate the handed part.  That's all nice and easy.

I should also say that I'll be using the mesh in Fusion 360 to create both a mould and a buck so that my friend has options for making the part from fibreglass.

However, the mesh created along the boundary is a little "messy" to say the least.

John_in_NZ_0-1589235336221.png

I obviously want to get rid of this mess, and I'd be quite happy to trim off the areas like the snip above as they occur all the way round the edge of the part.

I have been googling, to try an find a solution to the problem, but haven't found anything that helps.  That's possibly because I'm not sure how to describe this issue.

TIA ... ๐Ÿ‘

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
hfcandrew
in reply to: John_in_NZ

Select > Edit > Erase & Fill

Message 3 of 6
John_in_NZ
in reply to: hfcandrew

Simple as that, eh?

Many thanks ... ๐Ÿ˜Š

Message 4 of 6
hfcandrew

lol yep

Another tip, if you are working with a mesh, keep working with the mesh in MM. Problems tend to arise when trying to covert in and out of BREP etc.

Message 5 of 6
John_in_NZ
in reply to: hfcandrew

Thanks for the tip ... ๐Ÿ™‚

The UK went metric whilst I was still at school, so metric (or more specifically SI, because I work in Engineering) is my go to measuring system.

However, after leaving school, my second job involved working with a lot of extruded aluminium and the majority of the dies were still imperial, so I got used to bouncing between the two systems, which is quite handy now when the CNC router I've got was designed in imperial (1/4" or 3/8" collets).

On the other hand, if you *DO* want to confuse me, start talking about CM (10mm) or decimal inches (thou).  With either of those, I've got to sit and think about things for a moment or two ... ๐Ÿ˜

Message 6 of 6
hfcandrew

To switch between measurement units: Analysis > Units/Dimension

Also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5-s-4KPtD8

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums