Community
Meshmixer
Welcome to Autodesk’s Meshmixer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Meshmixer topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Meaning of different colours in Meshmixer

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
8068 Views, 2 Replies

Meaning of different colours in Meshmixer

Hi

I have a cylinder of specific dimensions added to the parts library in meshmixer. The thing I cannot understand is -

I get different colors when I do a Boleen subtraction using that cylinder , the colors vary from light green to dark green, purple, pink .

what I am trying to do is that I have an .stl file of a curved surface and I need to make specific size depressions on the surface. I designed the specific size cylinder in solidworks and saved it as .stl then imported it  to meshmixer and saved as solid part. I import the curved object file in meshmixer then open my parts and add the cylinder in properties its boleen subtraction and accept. The first cutout i get is light green, now I again repeat the steps at a different point on the curved surface and I get a purple cut out,  next one is pink, then a dark green.when I zoom in and inspect i looks the same but am not sure .Do different colors signify something or its just a random  thing.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
MagWeb
in reply to: Anonymous

What you see are not color information (as per vertex color). Such colors are just representations to show face groups (all faces owning the same face group ID are rendered in a certain color). E.g.: Face groups allow to select a grouped region  quickly double clicking it in SELECT.

MM constructs such groups automatically doing certain operations (e.g. doing a Boolean). In case of BooleanDifference (assuming there were no face groups on both source objects): The object you subtract off (the minuend) stays white (= group zero) while the surface resulting from the object you subtract with (= the subtrahend) gets a new group ID=1 (some color). Now if there already are some groups (e.g. ID=0 and ID=1) a new ID =2 is set (a different color). So somehow the group's color is a "random" thing based on the order the groups were created.

If you do Boolean difference several times you get a new group (a different color) each time you accept the tool.

As said double clicking a group in SELECT selects a face group island. Now a face group might own several islands (split by other groups). If you want to select all islands of a group you need to hit Shift+G.

To combine different groups to a single group you need to select all groups to be joined by double click and run Modify/CreateFaceGroup (Ctrl/CMD + G)

To split off a certain region from a group: Select that region and run Modify/CreateFaceGroup (Ctrl/CMD + G)

If you don't want to see the groups but the per vertex colors of the mesh switch to MeshColorMode = VertexColor (either using the Hotbox (press and hold Space and click on the blue-gradient sphere) or via MM's Preferences)

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: MagWeb

Thanks MagWeb.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report