Community
Meshmixer
Welcome to Autodesk’s Meshmixer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Meshmixer topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's possible: mmApi via Python 3.x

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
MagWeb
855 Views, 9 Replies

It's possible: mmApi via Python 3.x

News for mmApi users:

mmApi Python interface was built meant to be used on Python 2.7. Python2 development and support will end soon...

Now I managed to setup an interface based on current SWIG 4.0 and PCRE 8.43 supporting current Python 3.7.4 on my macOS system (Not sure if that upgrade to SWIG 4.0 and PCRE 8.43 is needed at all but I tried latest/most common versions)

Until now things seem to work fine simply converting 2.7 codes via 2to3-auto conversion (also there might be some still unknown glitches) .

Python 3 support allows to use up to date third party libraries and/or to link MM to other applications using Python 3 scripting (e.g. Fusion 360).

Anyone (maybe a better coder) willing to join the porting party?

Here's a shot running examples/demo_06 via Python Shell 3.7.4:

Ohne Titel.jpeg

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
rafaluis
in reply to: MagWeb

Muito bom !!!

Message 3 of 10
The3rdIcon

I know @MagWeb  your primarily a mac user but I wanted to know if you've heard anyone begin able to do this on Windows. I currently have mmapi working with python 2.716 on Windows 10 and don't want to mess it up. 

Message 4 of 10
MagWeb
in reply to: The3rdIcon

Not that sure about a concrete WIN 10 mmApi build... But I think to remember a post here where Python3 was used... though I can't find it...

Did you saw my post at mmApi where I documented what I did to build it at macOS? Basically it should work to modify the .bat files in a similar manner.

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 5 of 10
hfcandrew

Ya that was probably me somewhere:

Win10 Python2

Win10 Python3

Use at own risk, I don't really know what I'm doing and got it working for some stuff by nothing more than chance. haha!

Message 6 of 10
markarenillo023
in reply to: hfcandrew

Is there some malware embedded in this? I just downloaded mmapi for python 3 yet the _mmapi.pyd keeps disappearing. This seems suspicious.
Message 7 of 10
hfcandrew
in reply to: markarenillo023

No malware, I promise. Just unverified scripts get dinged by google drive and windows sometimes.

Message 8 of 10
markarenillo023

Unfortunately, it wasn't dinged. It always disappears without prior notice. :<
Message 9 of 10
hfcandrew
in reply to: markarenillo023

Right click on it and DL it separately.

Message 10 of 10
markarenillo023

I just uninstalled my antivirus and now it works. Thanks for your response!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums