Community
Meshmixer
Welcome to Autodesk’s Meshmixer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Meshmixer topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to change "Reduce" defaults?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
srooney9BVLD
896 Views, 7 Replies

Is there a way to change "Reduce" defaults?

So, I try to reduce meshes that artists send me to more manageable size without altering the model. For this I use "Reduce"->"Max Deviation"-> 0.0 mm. This is a lengthy computation in many cases, and one that may need to be performed many times on seperate areas so that meshmixer doesn't crash. I'm ok with this. What I'm not ok with is the fact that it repeats this computation automatically when you change a setting. So I have to change from "Percentage" to "Max Deviation" and I wait a minute. Then I have to change from 0.6 or 0.2 or whatever to 0.0, and wait another minute. I just want to do it the one time, how do I change the default to "Max Deviation, 0.0 mm"?

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
MagWeb
in reply to: srooney9BVLD

Unfortunately Reduce is one of the tools which do not remember settings.

There's no way I know to set custom values to avoid these default computations.

It also does NOT work to write certain settings to the .ini manually as these tools do not read it.

Sorry

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 3 of 8
hfcandrew

Within a session, MM remembers your last used setting, so if you were to bring the Reduce tool up again it will do the same setting. So I'd start by selecting a very small area, then change to the setting you want ( so it runs through faster). Then escape out, select everything you want, then run it again.

Message 4 of 8
MagWeb
in reply to: hfcandrew

Here on macOS Reduce does not remember the last used settings within a session. Remesh instead does it the way you describe. Is that different on WIN?

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 5 of 8
hfcandrew
in reply to: MagWeb

For me 99% of the tools are remembered permanently, even if the computer is
restarted. The remaining 1% are ones I never really use anyways, but even
they are remembered within a session.
Message 6 of 8
srooney9BVLD
in reply to: hfcandrew

What kind of machine are you using? Bog-standard Windows 10, it doesn't remember any tool settings. I always have to toggle snap off when I start it up, and have to toggle percentage to max deviation each time I use the tool.

Message 7 of 8
srooney9BVLD
in reply to: MagWeb

Windows here, it does not remember.

Message 8 of 8
hfcandrew

I'm using Windows 7.

Actually yes I have the save thing 'Local' (vs world view) and 'Snap' as disabled is an unchangeable default for me too.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report