Community
Meshmixer
Welcome to Autodesk’s Meshmixer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Meshmixer topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increasing Hole (cavity) depth

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
611 Views, 1 Reply

Increasing Hole (cavity) depth

Hi there,  I have an STL model of an object I 3D scanned and need to increase the hole/cavity depth by 3 inches (76mm).  (reference screen shots below)  The diameter of the hole/cavity is 22mm.  I attempted to see if the "Add Tube" option might be a possibility, but the Radius size maxes out at 10mm.  I am very new to Meshmixer and am still going through initial tutorials to get a handle on this robust software. 

I first referenced the "Increasing hole size" topic on this forum to see it that might help.  I gave it a try and was able to increase cavity with some trial and error.  

There must be an easier way though.  Is there a way to set the desired diameter (22mm) and depth of area (hole/cavity) you want to extend and increase by 76mm?  Screen Shot 2019-03-04 at 5.56.34 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-03-04 at 5.57.04 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-03-04 at 5.58.34 PM.png

Tags (1)
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
MagWeb
in reply to: Anonymous

The workflow you linked to only works on meshes with a sharp falloff between hole and surface. A scan will hardly own such sharp edges.

I would delete the hole totally and do a new one by using SELECT/Deform/Transform from scratch:

1. Save the holes center as a pivot: Cut off a ring on the small flange around the hole using EDIT/Planecut. This should create a plane face group all around the hole. Select this group and the inside surface and discard >> should result in a single circular open boundary. Go to EDIT/CreatePivot . Set its PlacementMode = SnapToBoundaryCenter and double click on the boundary. This should drop a pivot.

2. Close the hole using ANALYSIS/Inspector at HoleFillMode = SmoothFill.

3. Create a circular face group: Go to STAMP. Click on the circle stamp to use this stamp AND enable SnapDimension at the tool flyout's bottom (The number you'll see in the window's right its the circle's radius). Clicking near the pivot will make the circle's centre snap to it. Draw the desired diameter of the flange's outside.

4.SELECT this group and do Edit/EraseAndFill ( Replace/FillType = FlatMinimal) to flatten.

5.Still selected do Deform/Transform. Enable Snapping (green S-circle) and disable Absolute (grey A-circle). Move the group to the flange's height and Accept. Again run Transform , scale the same way in X and Y (LocalFrame) to the desired diameter of the hole and Accept. Again run transform and move the selection to the hole's depth along Z.

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report