Community
Meshmixer
Welcome to Autodesk’s Meshmixer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Meshmixer topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to put 2 stl files side by side and save as 1 file ?

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
skergeth
1567 Views, 14 Replies

How to put 2 stl files side by side and save as 1 file ?

I would need to import 2 single stl files into meshmixer, place them side by side and then save as 1 single stl file to mill them in one job together.

I was already able to import 2 files but they are merged together. How to do it right ?

Thank you for helping

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
MagWeb
in reply to: skergeth

Using the default shader there's bright and a darker object after you exported two objects.

The bright one is active.

Now you need to make the second active too: Hold down Shift while clicking on the second object.

Both objects being active: Run EDIT/Combine > results in one object to export.

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 3 of 15
skergeth
in reply to: MagWeb

Hello Gunther,

thank you so much for your help.

I was able now to Import 2 Files (Attachement: File1.stl and File2.stl) and to combine them into one single file.

But in the Export file (Attachement: Result_Export.stl) they are overlapping so i can not mill them separatley.

How to Position them side by side ?

Thank you ! 

Message 4 of 15
MagWeb

Both STLs seem to come from a source application using Z dimension as the Up direction. MM instead uses the Y-up orientation. If your target (CAM) application uses Z-up again (most likely) I recommend to set MM to flip Z-up to Y-up on import and export. You can enable that feature in MM via Preferences > File tab > enable FlipZ-YAxisOnImport-Export ( or in the Import dialog). 

Now there are two ways to move/rotate STL2 to a desired spacing:

1. Before Combine move/rotate STL2 manually using EDIT/Transform
  2. If the soles (not combined yet) are oriented to the XZ grid (either rotating both objects 90° around X (drag the red arc in Transform) or via automatic Z-to Yup file)) you may run ANALYSIS/LayoutPacking. You need to define your milling stock size as a Printer before. This does automatic nesting.

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 5 of 15
hfcandrew

Hey just curious. I'm a Pedorthist and I make custom made orthotics too. What's your story here? What CAD software are you using?

Message 6 of 15
skergeth
in reply to: hfcandrew

Hi, i am an orthopedic engineer and orthopedic shoemaker.

I am working with a milling machine since a few month to produce 3D insoles.

Cool stuff !  I am using 3DSizeMe from techmed for scanning and Lutracad insole software for desiging insoles. For creating NC Codes for milling i use deskproto. With meshmixer i would like to optimize the milling files. I am happy for the help here In this Forum. For more Information look our website: www.skergeth.at or contact me directly. 

You are very welcome.

Best regards

Karl

Message 7 of 15
hfcandrew

Oh interesting. I use Deskproto as well. Looks like from that file you must be direct milling the EVA orthotics, whereas I mill a positive out of MDF board then vacuum press a polypropylene sheet on it.

I have used lutracad, fitfoot360, isolecad, sharpeshape/AOMS and vorum. All of them are so slow to use, and wash out a bunch of detail and anatomy. I'd recommend you just use Meshmixer as your CAD. You can even do your nesting in it as well.

Message 8 of 15
skergeth

>>>  Looks like from that file you must be direct milling the EVA orthotics, whereas I mill a positive out of MDF board then vacuum press a polypropylene sheet on it.

Yes i mill EVA Insoles direct but für PP i do the same like you using a positive Modell.

>>>I have used lutracad, fitfoot360, isolecad, sharpeshape/AOMS and vorum.

>>> All of them are so slow to use, and wash out a bunch of detail and anatomy.

This is also my exerience.

>>> I'd recommend you just use Meshmixer as your CAD. You can even do your nesting in it as well.

That is my plan but the beginning is a Little bit difficult.

I could not find a "Beginners book" or a Manual to step into the Topic and learn the software.

Just some YouTube Videos or some short instruction Pdf's .

So i have to lean on the forum.

Which System are you using for Scanning ?

Thanks for the Infos.

Message 9 of 15
skergeth

Hello Gunther,

i just tried to enable  the YAxisOnImport-Export .

I am very sorry but i can not find this Setting Menue : "Preferences".

Also when clicking on the "File" Tab i only can choose "Open, Save, Save as, Import …., Export"

>>> or in the Import dialog

Opening the "Import" Dialog only Shows the Filebrowser but no settings to choose.

Sorry again for that silly Question - Maybe i am searching on the wrong Location for that menue ?

Message 10 of 15
hfcandrew

Ya I'm always willing to help a fellow 'foot' guy out!

If all your foot files are coming into MM oriented along the wrong axis, to swap the To automatically have your import swap the Z&X axis:

File>Preferences, File Tab>On the Top left check "Flip Z-Y axis on Import-Export"

Set your printer bed dimension the same as what your EVA mill stock is (for milling multiple at once): https://autode.sk/2PmnCBK

Those structure sensor scanning are very poor quality and make a lot of noise and also lose lots of detail, also the new Mark II is better. I use an upright vertical scanner, the 'USOL-X' by http://scanpod3d.com/usolx.html

Also I use the mmAPI to semi automate some of the CAD portion of the orthotic design. But for you I'd work on getting comfortable with MM first.

Message 11 of 15
skergeth

Hello Andrew,

great Movie - Introducion - Thank's !!!

But i can not find such a menue: "File>Preferences, File Tab>On the Top left check "Flip Z-Y axis on Import-Export" in my meshmixer.

My File Tab Looks different, see Attachement "File_tab"

Also my Meshmixer Surface doesn't have the tabs like shown in your movie. See : Attachement "My_Surface"

Maybe i have downloadet a wrong Version of Meshmixer ?

Or do i have to purchase a better Version ?

Thank you !

Message 12 of 15
hfcandrew

Whoa what version of MM are you using, that one looks 10 years old. Right now it should be 3.5.

Can you go to help>About Meshmixer

See attached.

Message 13 of 15
skergeth

UPDATE !

I really had a wrong meshmixer Version.

Was downloading now Audodesk_Meshmixer_v3p5_Win64.exe

This Looks similar to the app in your movie.

I start over again and come back if i would have new Questions (SURE - there will be 🙂  )

THANK YOU !

Message 14 of 15
MagWeb

Yeah, the version you were using was an MM 1.x version. 

Just curious: Where did you get that version?

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 15 of 15
skergeth

I got this Version from Dr. Google  🙂

Now i know: "Don't believe Always the doctor" 🙂 🙂 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums