Community
Meshmixer
Welcome to Autodesk’s Meshmixer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Meshmixer topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to merge flange + tube in 1 object

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
davidroland78
495 Views, 10 Replies

how to merge flange + tube in 1 object

Hi. I need help how to merge or union or weld ( which commands are here used ) the flange to the tube ellipse dimension.Any suggestion step-by-step i will appreciate. I try it in 3D MAX to do it,with help from forum,Screenshot (34).pngbut with no success .Thank youScreenshot (26).png

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
MagWeb
in reply to: davidroland78

Hmm, looking at the MM screenshot: There will be several issues to solve. There seems to be a hole in the flange, there are self intersecting issues at the flange, there's a wide gap between both objects.

Makes me wonder to see a different appearance (a closer gap) in 3D Max.

Could you post a zipped mesh as an attachment (or give me a download link via PM)? Otherwise it's hard to give you some decent advice of how to repair and join. Think this isn't a one click issue...

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 3 of 11
davidroland78
in reply to: MagWeb

I find it a way to zip this max file , but first i do it in 7 zip and after in zip.file . Awesome.

Message 4 of 11
MagWeb

Should have mentioned: I'm on macOS and no 3dsMax for Mac.

So maybe the mesh (.obj or .stl) output from Max or a .fbx?

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 5 of 11
davidroland78

Here is the file in obj. 

Message 6 of 11
MagWeb

The flange part owns some interior cavities:

mid-horizontal cut of flangemid-horizontal cut of flange

Guess you do not need those cavities and you want to close the gap between flange and tube.

(After importing the source as a single file do EDIT/SeparateShells to split flange and tube.

Now we need to get rid of the flange's interior, self intersecting surfaces:

The flange object being the active one go to EDIT/GenerateFaceGroups:

Ohne Titel 2.jpegThis creates a group for the upper (here blue) and lower horizontal surface of the flange.

Go to SELECT and double click both groups to select them:

Ohne Titel 3.jpeg

Hit X to discard both:

Ohne Titel 4.jpeg

Run EDIT/SeparateShells:

Ohne Titel 6.jpeg

Click on the outer ring of the flange to find it in the object browser. Now activate all other parts of the flange (image above) and discard them(hitting X)

You should end up with a scene like:Ohne Titel 7.jpeg

Now go to ANALYSIS/Inspector and do AutoRepairAll:

Ohne Titel 8.jpeg

Inspector fills both boundaries with a plane surface:

Ohne Titel 9.jpeg

The flange is OK now.

Switch to the the tube. We need to remesh the low res tube for proper welding.

Do SelectAll by hitting Ctrl+A 

And run Edit/Remesh at RemeshMode:LinearSubdivision at a high Density:

Ohne Titel 12.jpegAccepting this result activate both objects and run BooleanUnion:Ohne Titel 14.jpeg

Should give you this final joined mesh:

Ohne Titel 15.jpeg

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 7 of 11
davidroland78

I need those 4 holes in the flange. I leave it them there but i can't do with the Hollow to scale the holes to be round not ellipse and to be HOLLOW.

The tube can be do it to be hollow too?

I can't find the UNION. I searched on net ,but nothing.

Screenshot (40).pngScreenshot (41).pngScreenshot (42).pngI can't take out the crack in red. Any idea? 

Thank you.

Message 8 of 11
MagWeb

If you need the holes position but round shapes you'll need further steps.

After separating tube and flange, create face groups on the flange. Now make a duplicate of the flange.

On this duplicate (the tube and the original flange hidden) do a horizontal EDIT/PlaneCut

Ohne Titel.jpeg

Go to SELECT and select the group created by PlaneCut by a double click.

Hit "I" to invert the selection and "X" to discard all but this .

The result should look like:

Ohne Titel 4.jpeg

Now go to EDIT/CreatePivot. Set its PlacementMode to SnapToBoundaryCenter and double click near to the boundary of the holes. This drops a pivot marker to the center of each hole.

Ohne Titel 5.jpeg

Now you may hide the copy of the flange or even delete it.

Show the original flange and do the repair process as described above.

Ohne Titel 6.jpeg

Go to MESHMIX and switch to its Primitives library. Drag its cylinder onto the flange. Now dragging the white sphere in the widget's center near to a pivot it snaps to it. Set its Dimension value to the desired diameter of the hole. Hit "D" to drop it at the current position. Drag it to the next pivot, again hit "D" aso until you got a cylinder on each pivot marker (The objects created by hitting D might not be visible as long as you're inside MESHMIX or didn't navigate to a different view but should be shown in the object browser).

Ohne Titel 7.jpeg

Now combine all dropped cylinders and run EDIT/Transform to scale the cylinder along Y to make sure that they intersect the upper as well as the lower surface of the flange.

Ohne Titel 9.jpeg

Now activate the flange object first and (while you hold down Shift) the cylinders as the second object. If there are two objects active you'll find the Boolean operations in EDIT.

Do BooleanDifference to subtract the cylinders from the flange:

Ohne Titel 11.jpeg

Accept this result.

Now show the tube and activate it as a second object.

Run BooleanUnion ...

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 9 of 11
davidroland78

I have done this steps and is like this.Screenshot (45).png

Is a way to resize the dimension of the middle ellipse hole? Or the other 4 litle holes?

Can you help me please to do to this flange a neck like in this picture : lap-joint-flange.jpg in the inside ellipse part?

I need a flange to be father and mother one.

Thank you.

Message 10 of 11
MagWeb

Hmm the repair workflow above works fine here. Maybe you did some transform or scaling accidentally?

Did you align the source object (still as one object) to the ground plane properly ?

---

If you end up like this and you want to get the neck:

Ohne Titel.jpeg

Make a duplicate of the tube and do EDIT/Planecut a bit higher than the neck will end:

Ohne Titel 2.jpeg

The tube is of poor mesh density. So we want to increase it first:

SelectAll and run Edit/Remesh in LinearSubdivision mode at max Density (hit W to see the wireframe):

Ohne Titel 3.jpeg

Again run Remesh. This time at RelativeDensity mode also at max Density:

Ohne Titel 4.jpeg

Now run Edit/Offset and set the offset to the value your neck should get:

Ohne Titel 5.jpeg

Leave SELECT and run EDIT/Planecut. Position the plane where the neck should end:

Ohne Titel 6.jpeg

SELECT this new surface by double click, invert the selection hitting I and X to discard all but the ring:

Ohne Titel 7.jpeg

SelectAll of that ring and run Edit/Extrude so the extrusion intersects the flange:

Ohne Titel 8.jpeg

Make a duplicate of that tube and use EDIT/Transform to scale it down a litte bit. Its inner surface should clearly visible:

Ohne Titel 9.jpeg

Activate the flange first and holding down Shift the smaller tube as a second object. Run Boolean Difference:

Ohne Titel 10.jpeg

Accept , Select the inner disk and discard it:

Ohne Titel 11.jpeg

Activate the bigger tube and the flange. Run BooleanUnion:

Ohne Titel 12.jpeg

Again make a copy of the flange. Activate the tube object first and the copy of the flange as the second object. Run BooleanDifference:

Ohne Titel 13.jpeg

If you don't want to keep it you might cut off the lower neck:

Ohne Titel 14.jpeg

Now the tube fits perfectly to the flange and its neck (a cut through):

Ohne Titel 15.jpeg

Hope this is what you want to get?

If not, please give some sketch of what it should look like.

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 11 of 11
MagWeb

If you want to get a female flange as well. Simply make a copy of repaired flange without neck, Transform it over the male part. Make a copy of the male part as well. Maybe you need to extrude the neck a bit so it's over the female part and do a BooleanDifference:

male red, female yellow.male red, female yellow.

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report