Community
Meshmixer
Welcome to Autodesk’s Meshmixer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Meshmixer topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make curved surface smooth?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
AndyCherk
9632 Views, 5 Replies

How to make curved surface smooth?

Hi!

I've been using MeshMixer for a couple of days so I've got a question and I can't find an answer to it anywhere: I have a piece of curved surface in a model and I want to make it absolutely smooth. What should I use for this transformation? Is it possible only with using of manual brushes, or may be I just don't know about some powerfool tool in Meshmixer?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
MagWeb
in reply to: AndyCherk

What exactly do you mean by "make it absolutely smooth"?

Do you mean a planar result or a smooth result which might be still curved but regular?

Several options....e.g.:

The straight forward one is to SELECT the surface to smooth, then to run Modify/SmoothBoundary and with the same selection Deform/Smooth. Setting Smoothing at 1, SmoothingScale at 100 and ConstraintRings at 1 will give a membrane which is maximal smoothing.

If you want to get a plane result while the region's boundary isn't planar you may select the region and run Edit/Extrude. Set its EndType to Flat and pull the Offset to a position you like (zero is the average plane of the selection's surface).

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 3 of 6
MagWeb
in reply to: MagWeb

Just another general note:

A tri-mesh surface is made of planar triangles. This means if a surface is curved it will never be literally "smooth". You can get nearer to "smooth" the more triangles you use to describe a curved surface.

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 4 of 6
AndyCherk

Thanks for your reply!

Actually I got my model by processing of  aerial photos and some of houses had really bad shapes. Their walls were not planar and their edges were from non-Euclidean geometry. So my idea was to improve quality of my houses manually with MeshMixer.

Message 5 of 6
MagWeb
in reply to: AndyCherk

Hope there are not that much such house. That's pretty time consuming:

1.png

If it comes to edges where plane neighbour surfaces meet this is my favourite workflow:
1. SELECT regions of a wall where you decide that they are pretty plane;

2.png
2. Run SELECT/Edit/FitPrimitives. Set the tool to create a plane surface(for parameters see attached image). Drag the white cubes in the widgets' enters to sale up the planes until they intersect.

3.png

3. Do this for all walls. You should get something like this (Maybe you need to correct a plane's position using Transform now)

4.png
4. Activate all resulting planes and combine them to one object. Set this object to be a target clicking the magnet icon in ObjectsBrowser.

5.png
5. Activate your source object and SELECT all walls of the hose.

6.png
5. Run SELECT/Edit/AttractToTarget with the shown parameters and Accept

7.png
6. You'll get nice edges.

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 6 of 6
AndyCherk

Excellent! That is exactly what I needed, your help is extremely useful.

Thank you so much!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report