Community
Meshmixer
Welcome to Autodesk’s Meshmixer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Meshmixer topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to force fill instead of delete in "Inspector" and "Erase and Fill"?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
m163876
1391 Views, 3 Replies

How to force fill instead of delete in "Inspector" and "Erase and Fill"?

I am trying to fill in holes in a mostly flat topographic map that I have turned into a 3D object. The bottom side of this object is flat. 

I've tried a couple ways to fill in the holes which go all the way through the map such as:

1. Select the inner triangles of the hole. Delete. Analysis>Inspector. Repair if the inspector thinks the area should be filled (blue color). Sometimes the Inspector decides that the area should be removed and smoothed out instead of filled over so I can't fill in the hole. In the screenshot below, I've circled some holes I want to remove and some holes I've filled in with this method as well as a hole that inspector wants to widen into a bigger hole. 

m163876_0-1627786206944.png

2. Select the inner triangles. Edit>Erase and Fill. It usually fills in the inner triangle faces again so the hole isn't filled. 

3. Select one inner side of the hole and Extrude the "width" of the hole (in this case, 0.4 mm). This fills the hole but leaves horrible artifacts and is not a flat surface on the top and bottom of the object which leads to visual and physical 3D printing problems. 

Is there a way to force MeshMixer to fill in holes going through an object like this?

Tags (3)
Labels (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
MagWeb
in reply to: m163876

In general your 1st method should be the route to go. When you deleted the inner triangles and Inspector decides to highlight the boundary in red there are two main reasons why this happens:

1. If there are two open boundaries close to each other it might happen that the two boundary-faces-loops touch each other. MM does not handle this situation. To fix: You need to SELECT>Edit/Remesh the close region between the boundaries to give it a higher density so the boundary_faces_loops do not touch each other any more.
  2. Selecting the inner triangles you might have missed some face(s) which are connected to the rest of the mesh via a single vertex. Means: The open boundary uses the same vertex twice. To avoid this issue you should run Modify/OptimizeBoundary before discarding the inner triangles.

Ad your 2nd method: If you really selected all inner faces there are two selection boundaries which isn't allowed using EraseAndFill. If there are more than one boundaries of the selection the tool returns a red surface which flags that the tool didn't work.

To use EraseAndFill you should SELECT>Discard the inner triangles in a first step too. Now using a tiny brush size in SELECT double click at some triangle at the boundary. This should select all faces at the open boundary. Run EraseAndFill on that selection. Note: For you process one open boundary only this is more robust -compared to Inspector- on nearby open boundaries.

Your third method extruding the inner faces results in a self intersecting surface so it's the worst choice for some slicers...

Another way to get rid of such tunnels is to use MakeSolid in Accurate mode which allows an offset. Run MakeSolid with some OffsetDistance  bigger than the tunnel's radius (e.g. +1). Use this result to run MakeSolid again with the offset set to the same value in negative (e.g. -1).

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 3 of 4
m163876

@MagWeb Thanks for the tips. Your suggestions for the second method worked best. 

Deleting the inner triangles and then double clicking a triangle on the new hole edge selected the right boundaries > then fill. 

The only limitation I found is that for large openings or holes that are open on one side, the fill operation does not always fill the larger holes and instead wants to smooth the edges of the the mostly encircled (but not completed closed on 1 side) hole. I haven't found a way to signal to Meshmixer that I want fill in these larger holes completely. 

Ex: Hole that is completed enclosed

X X X X

X O O X

X X X X

Ex: larger hole that isn't completely surrounded on X/Y plane

X X X X X X X

X O O O O O X

X X X O O O X

X X O O O O X

X O O O O O X

Message 4 of 4
MagWeb

larger hole that isn't completely surrounded isn't a hole but a bay. You need to bridge it first:

XXXXXXXXXXX

XXOOOOOOXX

XXOOOOOOXX

XXOOOOOOXX

XXOOOOOOXX

XXOOOOOOXX

OOOOOOOOOO

To:

XXXXXXXXXXX

XXOOOOOOXX

XXOOOOOOXX

XXOOOOOOXX

XXXXXXXXXXX

XXXXXXXXXXX

OOOOOOOOOO

The green Xs were Os before and build a bridge to enclose the rest of the bay. To build such a bridge select two regions at the boundary (orange Xs) and run Edit/Bridge on that selection. Its Refine parameter set to zero gives straight bridges. Note: This bridge needs some width (rows of green Xs) to allow MM to fill the blue Os with some method explained above.

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums