Community
Meshmixer
Welcome to Autodesk’s Meshmixer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Meshmixer topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I fill gaps all over the model?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Pahasave
1739 Views, 8 Replies

How do I fill gaps all over the model?

This is actually a .iges file downloaded from grabcad and I tried converting it to stl then I tried fixing errors in meshmixer and the entire model is covered in errors. I know it's not watertight because it wasn't meant to be a 3d printed file but is there anyway to fill the gaps?

https://grabcad.com/library/e-12-concept-car-1

e12.JPG

Labels (3)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
hfcandrew
in reply to: Pahasave

Repairs meshes in a meaningful way is an art.

MM can do it. But there are many conditions of the mesh to satisfy before each tool will work. Every project and every mesh is a unique snowflake. Maybe your mesh density is too low or too high, or non-manifold, or normals are flipped or they are separated shells. I can't give too much insight and diagnose the problem without the .stl, or at least a screencast or a screentogif.

Message 3 of 9
MagWeb

Inspector shows only magenta markers. Magenta markers highlight tiny not connected surfaces. A repair will simply discard these surfaces. You can define what size is treated as "small" (meant to discard outliers which are a common thing in 3D scans) via the SmallThresh slider in Inspector.

Seems your conversion from .iges to .stl  (or MM's import) did not weld many triangles (or partial surfaces) to a main mesh. Or are there triangle duplicates?

MM's Preferences menu offers different STL merging techniques on its File tab. Maybe choosing another one and doing the import once again might fix it - not sure.

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 4 of 9
Pahasave
in reply to: hfcandrew

as attached

Message 5 of 9
hfcandrew

Your stl did not get attached, annoying this forum does not allow the direct attachement of .stls.

You need to zip it first.

Message 6 of 9
Pahasave

I looked at the conversion from iges to stl again in f360 and it seems that almost all the meshbodies are reversed. the "outside" facing meshes are facing inwards. I tried reversing the meshes but f360 doesn't do a single thing. Nothing has changed.

Message 7 of 9
hfcandrew

Sure no problem. I'm sure MM can fix it, just attach the .stl file.

Message 8 of 9
Pahasave
in reply to: hfcandrew

let's try

Message 9 of 9
hfcandrew

There is definitely something going very very wrong with that .stl conversion.

A clean model should have one manifold mesh body (shell). You has probably thousands, in fact it crashes MM.

A low poly car model like that should have maybe 20,000 triangles, yours had 450,000. With overlapping meshes (doubles walls). The scaling of your model is 4800mm long (4.8m) I don't think that is printable. The whole thing was not made with 3D printing in mind.

You need to find a better mesh conversion first.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report