Community
Meshmixer
Welcome to Autodesk’s Meshmixer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Meshmixer topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I create an object that I can Select>Convert To.. >Open Part

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
1237 Views, 1 Reply

How do I create an object that I can Select>Convert To.. >Open Part

I have created a simple object in TinkerCAD and I have opened it's stl file in meshmixer (file attached).

I want to add it to My Parts in Meshix, so I have to convert it to and "Open Part".

However, when I do that I can the following error (see attached image).

Any ideas?

I have created other objects but I keep getting this boundary loop error.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
MagWeb
in reply to: Anonymous

OpenParts support a single shell with an open boundary.

A default object with such an open boundary is the default bunny (its base plane is open) . Open boundaries are indicated by a blue line.

So if you do SelectAll and run ConvertToOpenPart its open boundary is used as a "contact loop" . 

Now if you have a "solid" part (as in your case) you'll need to do some partial selection. This selection needs to have a single "selection boundary loop" (means: one selected area with no faces missed in that area). E.g.: In case you want to get an open part from a bunny's ear, you need to select that ear all around and up to its tip.

----

At your object:

- Your special object comes with a minimal mesh density (hit W to see the wireframe). You will need to generate a much higher mesh density via SELECT/Edit/Remesh first (MM will deform faces at the boundary to weld them with the target mesh) to get a satisfying open part from it.

- Fear you want to have the part to be welded to the target mesh on this surface:

Ohne Titel 4.jpeg

You'll get a two boundaries part with two shells and bending issues trying this.

Use BooleanUnion instead (highly recommended)

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report