Community
Meshmixer
Welcome to Autodesk’s Meshmixer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Meshmixer topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hollow head !

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
don2SR9E
841 Views, 6 Replies

Hollow head !

A bit of a Newbie to this so bear with me.  I have created a head in Meshmixer that I want to make hollow and have open eyes... ie: BJD type affair.   I have used the hollow function which appears to work ok.  I used a cylinder to place over the eye sockets and did a Boolean subtract which appears to cut the eyes out.  I tweaked the shaping a bit with the pinch tool.  I also want to slice through the top of the head to create a removable cap to access the inside of the head.   I played about with this but on printing  it printed a solid top once it got to the eyes sockets. 

What would be the best way of achieving what I want to achieve? 

Any help appreciated.  My printer is a Flashflorge Finder and I am currently using their slicer. 

Cheers

Don 

UK 

Tags (3)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
MagWeb
in reply to: don2SR9E

Hard to guess what's happening. Could you attache the file or some images?

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 3 of 7
don2SR9E
in reply to: MagWeb

This is the kind of thing i need, attached.  I have sculpted the head and can hollow it.  I use a plane cut and separate shells for the head cap. How best to cut out the eyes? and set it up for printing ok ? 

Cheers

Message 4 of 7
don2SR9E

How do I lose the eyes ! aaarrggghhh ! 

Message 5 of 7
MagWeb

So you want to get eye cavities?

If so, don't do it on the hollowed model but before hollowing.

Drop a sphere from MESHMIX/Primitives to one eye as a separate object(CompositionMode = CreateNewObject):

Ohne Titel.jpeg

Scale and move i using EDIT/Transform:

Ohne Titel 2.jpeg

Activate the head object as the first object and holding down Shift click on the eyeball to be the second object.

Run EDIT/BooleanDifference:

Ohne Titel 3.jpeg

Now you may refine the result using SCULPT brushes.

Run EDIT/Mirror:

Ohne Titel 4.jpeg

Now run EDIT/Hollow and do the top PlaneCut:

Looking inside:

Ohne Titel 5.jpeg

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 6 of 7
don2SR9E
in reply to: MagWeb

Thanks for that !  I learned some stuff from that 🙂   What i really needed was a hollow head with the eyes totally cut out.  I finally pulled it off last by trial and error. 

I created the head and sculpted it.  When i hollowed it I just used the add hole function.  I moved them into place loosely got them to the size I needed.  A bit of sculpting to get them eye shaped.  Cut the top piece and this time it worked.  Before when I did this and got it looking ok.. when I went to print it it told me I had errors and when i went to fix it, it filled in all the holes that I really needed. 

Not sure what I did but this time there were no errors to fix.  The new head was printed overnight and YAY its hollow with cut out eyes !!   Looks great. 

Still got a lot to learn but loving meshmixer 🙂 

Don 

Message 7 of 7
MagWeb

If you want to cut out the eyes of an already hollowed mesh:

Go to SELECT and select the eye using the selection brush. Run Modify/SmoothBoundary to get a nicer border.

The resulting group selected run Edit/Extract and set some positive Offset:

Ohne Titel.jpeg

This creates and selects an offset copy of the source selection. Hit Y to separate the selection as a separate new object. Activate this new object and hit Ctrl+A (Cmd+A on Mac) to SelectAll. Run Edit/Extrude and set a negative Offset big enough to hit through the wall of the hollowed object.

Ohne Titel 2.jpeg

Activate the head as the first object and the separated part as the second one holding down Shift while clicking it.

Run Boolean Difference:

Ohne Titel 3.jpeg

Finally run EDIT/Mirror:

Ohne Titel 4.jpeg

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report