Community
Meshmixer
Welcome to Autodesk’s Meshmixer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Meshmixer topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with random red sphere unattached to part

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
hseussUCP6B
600 Views, 6 Replies

Help with random red sphere unattached to part

Hi, I am very new to Meshmixer, so I apologize if this is a basic question, but I have not been able to find any answers online yet. Basically, I am trying to create a model of an artery,  but I am having trouble both hollowing out the stl file and making the proper holes. When I load the model into Meshmixer, there is a red sphere that appears a little ways away from my part. I'll attach a picture. I cannot click on it or get any information on what it means. It looks like the red sphere that shows up when the hole is generated with the hollow function, but I do not understand why it is nowhere near the model and why it shows up before I ever press the hollow command. Does anyone know what it is/ what it means? Thank you in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
hfcandrew
in reply to: hseussUCP6B

This is the 0,0,0 origin. Does not affect your model. To turn off: View > ShowGrid

Message 3 of 7
MagWeb

A mesh is constructed based on vertices connected via edges. Each vertex owns some 3D coordinates in XYZ. So a vertex might be at: +30.45mm off the origin in the coordinates system's X direction, 23.25 mm off the origin in Y direction and 7.947mm off in Z. 

The red sphere just shows the origin as Andrew said.

If you run into trouble hollowing it:

- Make sure that MM is set to the same unit your source mesh owns > see ANALYSIS/UnitsDimensions (e.g. if your mesh in using cm so the artery diameter is lets say 0.5 units one can't hollow it with a wall thickness bigger than 0.25units)

- That said, your source mesh comes with closed artery ends. MM's hollowing will offset the caped ends too using EDIT/Hollow. So you need to crop off the wall thickness at the arteries ends after hollowing (SELECT an end region an do SELECT/Edit/PlaneCut). As an alternative you might PlaneCut  the ends to get open boundaries and SelectAll (Ctrl+A) and than do Edit>Offset with a negative offset to hollow it.

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 4 of 7
MagWeb

Seems editing posts doesn't work right now...

"As an alternative you might PlaneCut  the ends to get open boundaries and SelectAll (Ctrl+A) and than do Edit>Offset with a negative offset to hollow it."

needs to be:

"As an alternative you might PlaneCut with FillType=NoFill  the ends to get open boundaries and SelectAll (Ctrl+A) and than do Edit>Offset with a negative offset to hollow it.

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 5 of 7
hseussUCP6B

Oh okay, thank you so much!
Message 6 of 7
hseussUCP6B
in reply to: MagWeb

Thank you so much! Yes, I thought the red sphere was causing the hollow issue, but since it isn’t, I will definitely try these fixes out.

Edit: That plane cut and offset worked perfectly!! Thank you again so much!

Message 7 of 7
hseussUCP6B
in reply to: hfcandrew

Oh okay, thank you so much!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report