Community
Meshmixer
Welcome to Autodesk’s Meshmixer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Meshmixer topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help cut up a model

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
sadara
795 Views, 3 Replies

Help cut up a model

Hi,

I'm new to meshmixer I was wondering if anybody could help me cut up a Huge model for my printer? I have an Anycubic Kossel with a build value of 240 x 240 x 300

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
MagWeb
in reply to: sadara

Note at your mesh: one of the burgeon arms is already cut off. Run EDIT/SeparateShells.

To fix that: Activate both resulting objects and run BooleanUnion. Disable AutoReduceResult and Accept.

The problem aren't the two burgeon arms. You can cut them without trouble using EDIT/PlaneCut in CutType Slice(KeepBoth). After accepting the cut (you'll not see any change) run EDIT/SeparateShells to get the parts as separated objects.

Now the center star shape has to be cut to fit into your printers volume. To find a good position for your cut:

Drop a cube from MESHMIX/Primitives to some empty space in your scene. Using EDIT/Transform scale it to the size of your printer's volume. Run GenerateFaceGroups on it to get a group for each side.

Run EDIT/CreatePivot, set it to PlacementMode SnapToGroupCenter. Make sure LinkToTarget is enabled. Now double click each side of the cuboid to drop a pivot on its plane. Leave CreatePivot.

Drag the Transparent SHADER onto the cuboid.

Now use EDIT/Transform to move/rotate this cuboid(your printer's volume) to a position including a part of the star shape. As you will cut through the entire object the first position will be the hardest to find.

After you found a good position for the volume Accept Transform and switch to the star object and run EDIT/PlaneCut.

Again set its CutType to Slice(KeepBoth). Click on a Pivot to set the cutting plane to this position and Accept. 

Run EDIT/SeparateShells.

(Optional: Transform the cuboid to a slightly different position still including all you want to print in a single part)

Make the half intersecting the cuboid the active object and run EDIT/PlaneCut again to cut on a perpendicular pivot, separate and repeat again....

Think you'll need 8 separated objects to print the star.

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 3 of 4
sadara
in reply to: MagWeb

Thanks was able to cut it up and finished one complete arm and finishing up on the other arm.  I will work on the star next... thanks for the information!!

Message 4 of 4
sadara
in reply to: MagWeb

Hey, 

I'm try what you posted make a cuboid... I'm going to cut off the remaining arms and print those but the star is giving me trouble now...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report