Community
Meshmixer
Welcome to Autodesk’s Meshmixer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Meshmixer topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generate Complex Blues

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
dan66WYR
940 Views, 7 Replies

Generate Complex Blues

I have a common issue and after 20 min coloring a zone and getting a Blue outline after smoothing Boundry and create face group and generate complex, it's not there not black line to click on (for example your color in a shoe on a figure, sometimes you will get one shoe and not the other or nothing) . I try dozens of models even one on youtube, cannot get the same results. Is there a setting I am missing? 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
MagWeb
in reply to: dan66WYR

GenerateComplex is a very unique tool dealing with a situation which isn't allowed in most CAD apps: Internally it deals with non manifold triangles. Plus (considering MM's history), it's a new tool - there ARE issues I'm aware of (especially if one splits the resulting complex) generating complexes based on the face group's boundaries:

- if there are more than one group boundaries (ore even more) connected to the same 2nd group doesn't work. E.g. something like (the green group meets the white one twice):

Ohne Titel.jpeg

Instead if you split the white group into two like this:

Ohne Titel.jpeg

GenerateComplex (and splitting it) will do it's job(in most cases)...

Also: A group's boundary needs to touch  a single neighbour group. E.g. this will NOT work:

Ohne Titel7.jpeg

for the green group's left boundary is in contact with two groups.

Another issue may be low-poly models (as you might get on export from BRep CAD apps). You'll may run into problems if a single triangle face reaches from one to another group boundary.

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 3 of 8
dan66WYR
in reply to: MagWeb

No sure , here is a link that I am trying to split the Stl. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2971245 , can you quickly look at this and see what I am doing wrong .. 

Message 4 of 8
MagWeb

Argh - that's bad meshing. 

There are tons of internal faces connecting the outer surface through the object:

Ohne Titel 2.jpeg

E.g if you cut off one shoe it looks like:

Ohne Titel.jpeg

You need to get rid off these issue before trying to generate some complex.

Whenever you import a mesh from a third party source you should run some checking analysis:

- Hit W to watch the wireframe: Is it a low poly mesh with long stretched triangles? (in your case: That's ok for the outer surface)

- Is the object composed by not connected shells? Try EDIT/Separate (in your case: That gives one particle object which is that small that you can't see it.) Delete not needed objects.

- turn the object transparent (e.g by hiding it while it is the active object, or using the Transparent SHADER).

- run ANALYSIS/Inspector to check whether MM finds some issues to repair.

Doing this you will understand the mesh's quality and give you some hint what you need to do.

Now with the given mesh GenerateComplex will not work properly.

Try EDIT/MakeSolid at SolidType = SharpEdgePreserve to get rid of those internal faces while keeping sharp edges . You'll need a high SolidAccuracy and MeshDensity (Note: That will increase the file size and therefor the load you machine has to handle). Hit the Update button (this is very slow so go for a coffee !). If you're satisfied with the result Accept.

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 5 of 8
MagWeb

After you made the mesh a solid (watertight outer shell) it's time to get working face groups.

As a rough start run EDIT/GenerateFaceGroups.

Set its SizeTheshold to max to avoid tiny groups. A AngleThreshold at 13 gives the best grouping in this case here:

Ohne Titel.jpeg

That's a raw grouping only. As you see at the hair or shoes there are still tiny groups but others are perfect.

Select the main group you want to split off. E.g:

Ohne Titel 2.jpeg

Check this selection for missed islands or missed/not needed faces at the boundary. Add or remove such faces using a small brush.

When done run Modify/CreateFaceGroup.

Now select the regions of that group again and hit I to invert the selection:

Ohne Titel 3.jpeg

Again run Modify/CreateFaceGroup on that selection. 

Now we ended in two groups only. But we made sure that each face is either group A or B and there's no missed face.

Ohne Titel 4.jpeg

As I tried to explain in a previous post GenerateComplex only works if one group is connected to another group on a single, closed loop. 

So we need to split the groups again. In SELECT select a region of a group by double click and run Modify/CreateFaceGroup on it. Do this for each region until each group touches another group one time only:

Ohne Titel 5.jpeg

Now going to EDIT/GenerateComlex shows all the seams:

Ohne Titel 6.jpeg

Hitting AutoGenerate now inserts parting surfaces for each loop with a single click:

Ohne Titel 7.jpeg

Accepting and splitting the complex gives this result:

Ohne Titel 9.jpeg

Note the result at the eyes. Here is a ugly intersection. That's due to the definition of the groups there. I could go back and redefine these groups or go back to the GenerateComplex step and use offset of groups instead of fill boundary loops for these cases.

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 6 of 8
dan66WYR

Thank you for your time, I will try this example again   

Message 7 of 8
dan66WYR

I tied this 20 times on different PC, Laptop .. I can't get the same results that you get.. Just doesn't generate a Complex. I tried on a powerful server 4 Xeon CPU, won't run win 2012 server, iMac won't even start it ... 

Message 8 of 8
MagWeb

Think it isn't that much a hardware issue (I'm on a 9 year old MacPro) but a workflow problem. Most likely you did something wrong defining the groups. Can you somewhere upload your current result before you try to generate the complex (.mix format)? I'll look into it.

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report