Community
Meshmixer
Welcome to Autodesk’s Meshmixer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Meshmixer topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fix rudimentary 3d scan

39 REPLIES 39
SOLVED
Message 1 of 40
VanVan200
2309 Views, 39 Replies

Fix rudimentary 3d scan

I can't use the Bridge command. if i want to merge two selected parts, i am given error code. I don't understand why. I am attaching an example image of the two parts that I want to join. 

Tags (1)
39 REPLIES 39
Message 2 of 40
hfcandrew
in reply to: VanVan200

Bridge can only be done from two edges of an open boundary.

There are several ways to join two surfaces depended what you want. Post a drawn mock up of what you are envisioning.

Message 3 of 40

If you want to connect the cube to a cylinder, I would proceed that way:

https://www.loom.com/share/fd6bcc4eea7e4e44bd0d53d2750a2d33

I hope that's help

Message 4 of 40
VanVan200
in reply to: hfcandrew

Since I acquired a cheap 3D scanner (Ciclop scanner), and I scanned some Walt Disney figurines I had at home, the 3D results I got are pretty approximate. I have tried with Meshmixer, Blender and Meshlab to fix them, but I find it difficult when I try to shape missing pieces of the figures. Meshmixer's "bridge" command would help me a lot in this. I therefore attach a figure by W.D. (Zapotec) which I am working on. However I have scans of other W.D. who have similar problems. In particular, I wanted to reconstruct missing pieces of Zapotec such as the left rear shoulder, the right front arm, and the inside of the legs using "Bridge"; how do i proceed, since when i give the command it gives me an error code? (I am attaching a 3D image of the figurine).

Message 5 of 40

Do you want to do something like that? (see file attache)

Message 6 of 40

I would say yes, as far as the "closing" operations that I see you have done for the inside of the legs and the right arm are concerned. In addition to that, however, there would also be the problem (as can be seen above all for the left shoulder) that in many points of the figure the "double layer" is missing. It is a bit as if the figure had been scanned in two superimposed layers, and in many places the upper state is missing; and I would like to recompose those upper layers where they are missing. Do you think that also for this operation I can use the "bridge" command, or is another command better? (I still send you the original Zapotec photo, so you can better notice the differences with the scan).

#Zapotec.jpg 

Message 7 of 40

photo 2Zapotec#2.jpg

Message 8 of 40
hfcandrew

If you have a  low quality 3D scanner, then photogrammetry is a way way way better option. Lots of free software out there too.

https://github.com/mikeroyal/Photogrammetry-Guide

Message 9 of 40

I think you have to combine Bridge and the fonction Inspector. You can also just clic on "Make a solide"

However, the shoulder area will still be an issue. 

As hfcandrew say  photogrammetry is a better option your scan.

Message 10 of 40

Ok. I will try to study photogrammetry, to improve missing pieces such as those of the left shoulder. But you, however, the right arm and the inside of the legs, have you reconstructed it using the Inspector function or bridge command ..?

Message 11 of 40

I actually just used "Make a Solide"

Message 12 of 40

Ok. I have tried to repair the pieces of the figure with the command "create a solid", which may be fine for filling in the missing spaces, but it would not be good for filling selected spaces, for which I believe the bridge command is more suitable.
And returning to the bridge command, before moving on to photogrammetry, I would like to focus my attention on the fact that, as fhcandrew said, the bridge can only be performed by two edges of an open boundary. So I will try for the moment, to work the meshes taking this fact into account.

Message 13 of 40
VanVan200

Could I have the practical example of two edges of an open boundary of a mesh, so that I can better apply the "bridge" command?

Message 14 of 40
hfcandrew
Message 15 of 40
VanVan200

But I had already seen this example. Only if I select the edges of the two opposite sides as in the example, after I have given the command "bridge", I am given an error code. I just don't understand why.

Message 16 of 40
VanVan200

Bridge photo1.jpgBridge photo2.jpg

Finally I was able to create a conjunction between two selected areas with the Bridge command, acting on the image I had posted at the beginning, and which I had not been able to connect at the time. I am attaching two images of the conjunction itself.
Well, I would like to do more or less the same thing with the 3D image of Zapotec (and then of the other Disney characters that I have scanned), in order to join and "fill in" missing areas such as the left shoulder. To do this I will perhaps have to open a "passage" as I did in the image here (with select / discard), so that I can then connect it with bridge ..?

Message 17 of 40
hfcandrew

For starters, changed your rendering view. Your screen shots give me a headache. This will eliminate 'smooth and shaded' looking edges.:

File>Preferences>Mesh Normal Mode: FaceNormals.

Bridge will fail often on low poly meshes or on mesh boundaries that are not parallel to each to each other.

Message 18 of 40
VanVan200

Ok. I will try to consider your advice.
Message 19 of 40
VanVan200

Good evening, it is already a while since I have intervened in the discussion. In the meantime, I used both the bridge command and other meshmixer commands to improve the figure shown above; the problem is that by adjusting the figure piece by piece, not only does it take a long time, but there are some cases in which the specific command to go on with the work is missing, such as when trying to add material in a certain area of the figure, but the commands available are not sufficient (I mainly used Meshmixer and Blender). Basically, I would simply like to correct the errors of some images obtained with a 3D scanner, images that I obtained by scanning the same figure 2 or 3 times, obtaining a single scan from these defective scans, but correct. I therefore attach the images obtained with multiple scans for the same zapotec.

Message 20 of 40
hfcandrew

'Meshlab' has some decimate features where you can load multiple .stl from scans, align them based on a few reference points and then it essentially remeshes them together.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report