Community
Meshmixer
Welcome to Autodesk’s Meshmixer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Meshmixer topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filling a hollow object

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
addohm
318 Views, 3 Replies

Filling a hollow object

I'm trying to figure out how to fill this.  This particular model is murderous for F360 so I'm trying to get it all done in meshmixer.  Essentially I just need this thing to be completely solid so I can then shell the body to ~1.1mm and plane cut the top and bottom of it.  Id assumed after a repair I'd be able to simply "make solid" then shell the mesh in F360 but no matter what I do, it looks like a surface body.  I've even tried to use this model as a means to make a "mold" them use the mold to make an actual solid body in fusion, but to no avail.  I have to admit that I normally spend very little time in meshmixer.  I usually use it to sculpt when I need to but thats it, so I don't have any extensive experience with it.  How can I get this work done in meshmixer?  I have two other bodies I need to do this same exact thing to.

Moon by JorgeVerdugo | Download free STL model | Printables.com

Tags (4)
Labels (4)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
hfcandrew
in reply to: addohm

That model is 2M+ triangles containing a few thousand non-manifold mesh errors:

hfcandrew_0-1695659042235.png

Run inspector first.

Also your model is 2mm tall, that's to mathematically impossible for Meshmixer to run a 1.1mm offset:

hfcandrew_0-1695659234835.png

You need to scale it up to your desired print size before running hollow.

And because this is sphere, and this model is 2M+ triangle, running hollow may fail/crash and will take an hour to run. So the simple solution is just a place a 1.1mm smaller sphere inside of it then combine the two objects. Since I'm assuming you don't need the inside of your model to be textured.

Message 3 of 4
addohm
in reply to: hfcandrew

Thanks.  I was able to find a youtube video that led me in the right direction.  I realize that the texture and shape creates a lot of polygons.  I also realized the scaling once I started working off of that video.  I just didn't know that "offset" in MM is the same as "shell" in F360.  I also didn't realize that if MM fails at an operation, it's even less informative than F360 is lol.

addohm_0-1696001911668.png

Anyway, I was able to complete the task by the following:

Make solid

Close holes

Offset

Export

Do the rest in F360 mesh workspace.  It definitely proved tricky still because some models I import are all surface and some are solid, etc.  As long as I continued to work in the mesh workspace, processing time was never an issue.  So any solid bodies I needed to make as a part of the project I just tessellated when it was complete and went back to the mesh workspace.  I'm sure its not the best way but it worked.

Bonus question: are there any tools in MM similar to "section analysis" in F360?  Thanks!

Message 4 of 4
hfcandrew
in reply to: addohm

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report