Community
Meshmixer
Welcome to Autodesk’s Meshmixer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Meshmixer topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting to network share fails

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
asilvermanW7LE5
451 Views, 3 Replies

Exporting to network share fails

Greetings,

I have a client that uses the Meshmixer software to work with dental models. When they export to the local machine, the file is created within 10 seconds (40MB) and can be copied to a network share in about the same amount of time.

If the user tries to export directly to the network share, the process drags for about 5-10 minutes and typically fails (90% failure rate). The machine has no issues saving or exporting to the server shares with any other software. I have investigated the network topology, they employ a 10/100 Mbps connection and the server is on-premise as a VM on an ESXi host.

I am noticing some irregularities, but they seem to be caused solely by the export process, no other procedure causes the issues (specifically, the network drives "drop" or display a red "X", although clicking on the drive opens it properly and reverts back to not showing the red "X"). Again, no other operation causes this. Monitoring the throughput in Task Manager\Performance shows that the machine is using about 11 Mbps during the export and there is a sudden drop on the graph when the failure occurs.

Has anyone else faced this issue and found a solution? I am aware the obvious answer is to save locally and move the file to the share, 30 seconds as opposed to 5-10 minutes with a likely failure, but that seems more like a band-aid solution and doesn't address the issues, just circumvents it.

Any assistance or advice would be greatly appreciate.

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Well, I have resolved the export failing issue. Turns out to have been an issue with some software that maps WebDAV drives being active on a company that doesn't employ WebDAV folders, only local folders and no GPO.

The process is still ridiculously slow, 15 or so minutes to do an export on a 100 Mbps connection (I forced the NIC into 100 Mbps Full Duplex). But the client is not too concerned with the speed, so we consider this issue resolved.

Admin please close the thread.

Message 3 of 4
hfcandrew
in reply to: asilvermanW7LE5

I have the exact same issue!

I could not find a solution either. So my work around was to just save all the files to my HDD and then just copy and paste them at the end of the day. A lot faster than waiting 2-3 mins for MM to save each file.

Message 4 of 4
bcistems
in reply to: asilvermanW7LE5

I have a client that uses the Meshmixer software to work with dental models. When they export to the local machine, the file is created within 10 seconds (40MB) and can be copied to a network share in about the same amount of time.

If the user tries to export directly to the network share, the process drags for about 5-10 minutes and typically fails (90% failure rate). The machine has no issues saving or exporting to the server shares with any other software. I have investigated the network topology, they employ a 10/100 Mbps connection and the server is on-premise as a VM on an ESXi host.

I am noticing some irregularities, but they seem to be caused solely by the export process, no other procedure causes the issues (specifically, the network drives "drop" or display a red "X", although clicking on the drive opens it properly and reverts back to not showing the red "X"). Again, no other operation causes this. Monitoring the throughput in Task Manager\Performance shows that the machine is using about 11 Mbps during the export and there is a sudden drop on the graph when the failure occurs.

Has anyone else faced this issue and found a solution? I am aware the obvious answer is to save locally and move the file to the share, 30 seconds as opposed to 5-10 minutes with a likely failure, but that seems more like a band-aid solution and doesn't address the issues, just circumvents it.

Any assistance or advice would be greatly appreciate.

Thank you

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums