Community
Meshmixer
Welcome to Autodesk’s Meshmixer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Meshmixer topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting Per Vertex Color in Meshmixer

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Dadadevoh
1924 Views, 2 Replies

Exporting Per Vertex Color in Meshmixer

I'm trying to export per vertex color from meshmixer with no luck. Has anyone actually been able to get that to work? I want to try and render the per vertex color in Maya but when I bring the mesh in, the color set editor display is empty (meaning no color was exported) even when I set it to the OBJ + Per Vertex file format on export. 

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
MagWeb
in reply to: Dadadevoh

Yes, you need to export as an OBJ Format with per Per-Vertex Color . In this case MM adds three RGB values to each v - line of the obj to the coordinates values. You can check that opening the obj in a text editor. E.g. this snippet shows white and some red vertices:

Ohne Titel.jpeg

Unfortunately there are different ways to handle per vertex colors in an OBJ - don't have Maya here but maybe it uses a different slang... On the apps I use: Meshlab shows such color just fine while ZBrush does not set the color to the proper vertices.

To exchange per-vertex-color with ZBrush I need to use STL as exchange format which supports per vertex color too

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 3 of 3
Dadadevoh
in reply to: MagWeb

Thank you so much Gunter. You're a legend. Strangely I was able to get it to work with the Collada format. I'll keep experimenting. Huge fan of your work!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report