Community
Meshmixer
Welcome to Autodesk’s Meshmixer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Meshmixer topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export mesh in .obj, .mtl, .jpg

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
emmanuel-SMT
1601 Views, 4 Replies

Export mesh in .obj, .mtl, .jpg

Hello,

After several unsuccessful attempts and researchs on web, I post my question here.

Is it possible to export a mesh (one element into the Object Browser) into .obj file with .mtl and .jpg files ?

Thank you for your help.

Emmanuel

MM v3.5

Windows 10

Tags (4)
Labels (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
MagWeb
in reply to: emmanuel-SMT

If you created the mesh and its color representation in MM: No. MM does per vertex color only. If you want to export the obj with per vertex color you need to set the output format to "OBJ Format with Per-Vertex Color" in the SaveAs dialog. Same if you transferred texture to per vertex color using MakeSolid.

If the mesh came with a texture and you only did some modification: MM saves the obj along with a mtl and image file by default. Some tools like Remesh destroy texture mapping of course.

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 3 of 5
emmanuel-SMT
in reply to: MagWeb

Hello MagWeb,

Thank you for your answer.

I usually import a texture mesh file and do some modification using among MakeSolid function before exporting. It seems that even if "OBJ Format with Per-Vertex Color" is checked into MakeSolid function, it is not possible to get a .obj file with its associated files (.mtl and .jpg).

Can you confirm that ?

Emmanuel

Message 4 of 5
MagWeb
in reply to: emmanuel-SMT

Yes, MakeSolid creates a completely new mesh without any UV atlas. It can transfer the texture to a different color representation (per vertex color) but texturing is destroyed. MM saves mtl and image only if there are intact UVs (means only if you didn't use a tool destroying UVs)

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 5 of 5
emmanuel-SMT
in reply to: MagWeb

Hello Gunter,

Thank you very much for this clarification !

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums