Community
Meshmixer
Welcome to Autodesk’s Meshmixer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Meshmixer topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Editing STL's

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
pineguy
356 Views, 8 Replies

Editing STL's

Hi all.  Brand new here.  I have a car gauge cluster that I scanned and is too large for my 3D Printer (ender 3).  Trying to cut the gauge in half and glue together later.  How do I do this?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
hfcandrew
in reply to: pineguy

@pineguy 

Edit>Plane cut

Message 3 of 9
pineguy
in reply to: hfcandrew

That worked thanks.  Except, now, when I import into my creality slicer, the only thing that prints is the support structure.  Is there a step im missing in preparing the stl for print?  It works if i just import the scanned stl but once I cut it in meshmixer, it disappears.

Message 4 of 9
hfcandrew

Use Analysis > Inspector - To close any mesh open boundaries or errors.
Message 5 of 9
eml3701.ta

After you plane cut the mesh should be divided into two parts. Make sure you are exporting the right stl. The parts can be exported individually. use the object browser. (ctrl+shift+o)

Message 6 of 9
pineguy

I can see  i'm in the right place.  That did the trick BUT.... what it did was fill in the inner shell.  See pic...I need that to remain hollow.

pineguy_0-1642620407334.png

Message 7 of 9
hfcandrew

Oh boy. So I'm guessing you have never 3D printed anything before?

Message 8 of 9
pineguy

wow....well yes, of course i have but the fill density doesn't work.  This scanned image imports to my slicer and prints just fine if I scale it down as it's too large.  Once I split it in meshmixer, It wants to fill the underside.  I want just the shell.

Message 9 of 9
hfcandrew

Sure. So typically if you want something printed acurately it needs to be watertight (no blue boundary). If you want this piece to just be a a thin shell, say 1.5mm thick, you will need to model this 3mm thickness into the design. You typically do not want a slicer software guessing how the model should be closed up and filled in.

Right now all you have is a zero thickness shell with an open boundary.

Go Select All>Edit>Offset (1.5mm)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums