Community
Meshmixer
Welcome to Autodesk’s Meshmixer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Meshmixer topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cylidrical mesh deforming when adjusting angle and repeatedly opening transform menu

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
250 Views, 3 Replies

Cylidrical mesh deforming when adjusting angle and repeatedly opening transform menu

I have imported the default cylindrical mesh and cut it and adjusted the angle. When I select it and open the transform menu it starts deforming at some point and becomes entirely unusable. These deformations cannot be undone with ctrl+z. Here is a short video depicting what happens:

https://i.imgur.com/EMAt4VD.mp4

Is there a good way to solve this? I first assumed that it was related to the shape, so I tried using a cylinder that was like an octagon, but eventually after turning it and cutting it a few times the same thing starts happening. This makes it impossible to properly work with this tool because every time it starts happening a lot of work needs to be redone. This issue has occured to me on three different machines. Is there a reason this keeps happening and a way to prevent this?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
MagWeb
in reply to: Anonymous

Yes, I run in this issue from time to time too but never was able to reproduce it. So if you have some workflow to reproduce I would be glad to look into...

Think this is related to the lokal frame handling. Some tools e.g. Align do not reset the frame's centroid in certain situations properly. E.G. here 

Now PlaneCut shows a similar issue:

If the cut is set to keep a half where the half does not include the source mesh's centroid, MM calculates a new centroid used by Transform just fine:

Ohne Titel 8.png

Instead if the kept half includes the source mesh's centroid, MM keeps the former centroid

Ohne Titel 9.png

I THINK your problem is:

MM thinks that the widgets center IS the centroid while it is off in fact and deforms due to that.

A lokal frame is constructed as one adds an object to the scene. So you might Export/ Import the object to reset the lokal frame to the objects center using the world's main axes.

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

@MagWeb I noticed that this happens even with meshes that are initially okay and don't start displaying this bug. I duplicate the element and place/deform it in a different part of the mesh and when I come back suddenly all of the meshes based on this particular form have this bug. Are the duplicated elements still somehow related to each other?

Also, once an object has this problem it can't be undone by combining it with another object with the same problem. Combining it with a new bugless object removes this issue though.

Message 4 of 4
MagWeb

If one combines two or more objects (e.g. objectA with its lokal frame aligned to the world axes and objectB with a rotated lokal frame) you need to be aware of the fact that MM constructs the new lokal frame for the combined objectA+B based on the axes directions of the first activated object.

So you will get different frame orientations in the upper case:

• If the active object is objectA and you combine it with objectB MM will take the frame's directions from objectA to use it for objectA+B (same happens with the object's name in ObjectBrowser). Now splitting this via SeparateShells will take the frame directions from objectA+B and uses this for both split objects. In upper case : both frames would be aligned to world axes.
  • Against: If the active object is objectB and you combine it with objectA MM will take the frame's directions from objectB to use it for objectB+A. Splitting it will give a rotated frame directions for both objects in the upper case.

MM does NOT remember the frame orientations of all combined "sub-objects" - only the first one.

This might be the reason of the "error-infection" you're facing? 

Basically a duplicated object is a standalone object without any connection to its source object. Its not some rendering instance as you might know from other applications. But dealing with a bug I can imagine that there could be some object-ID error too (E.g. using a frame from objectX while acting on objectY). Not sure at all.

I need some example file (.mix) of the scene showing that error and a detailed step by step description of how to produce it to track that issue.

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report