Community
Meshmixer
Welcome to Autodesk’s Meshmixer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Meshmixer topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cutting stl's, adding aligning pins for 3d printed parts

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
3ddruckowski
414 Views, 2 Replies

cutting stl's, adding aligning pins for 3d printed parts

Hi 

I am in the process of cutting the stl file to put a pin and a hole on the resulting surfaces. It looks easy on youtube, but it doesn't fit when I move primitives onto the surface.  The surface of the object (square or cylinder) is never parallel to the main object/surface I am adding it to.

Cutting process looks like: Edit - Plane cut  - Cut type - Slice, Keep both. Then Edit - separate shells

Is there a setting or step I'm missing?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
hfcandrew
in reply to: 3ddruckowski

@3ddruckowski 

Looks parallel to me, but had to see from an image. Can you post your .mix file or make a screencast.

Message 3 of 3
nkloski
in reply to: 3ddruckowski

If you want a dropped Primitive to be at a 90 degree angle to the main object, do this:

-Use the drop pivot target (with link to target) where you want your primitive to end up.  Snapping "to vertex" will have the pivot pointing along the normal / directly away from the mesh

-meshmix a primitive in and size it accordingly (it will create a new body if you don't drop it on the mesh, but rather somewhere on the background).

-drop another pivot on that new object (again with link to target turned on)

-simply drag from the new pivot to the old pivot and the new primitive will align at a 90 degree angle.

Nick Kloski
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report