Community
Meshmixer
Welcome to Autodesk’s Meshmixer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Meshmixer topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating new root canals in a tooth (stl modell)

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
tobias.meissnerG5Q4G
682 Views, 2 Replies

Creating new root canals in a tooth (stl modell)

Dear Forum,

for educational purposes I want to add (or modify) root canals to an already existing .stl file from an µCT-Scan.

My first approach for this was to create a simple cylinder and edit it with the sculpt function and then use one of the boolean functions (guess I need to use "difference").

But it is quite complicated to use the sculpting tools to alter the appearance of the cylinder so that it is looking natural. 

There is another function I found, which is using the "Make Tube" function. But this is only allowing me to use one start and one end point. Having more of those points between them would be a really good thing. Is there a way to add those?

Original: Premolar with one root canalOriginal: Premolar with one root canalTooth with cylinderTooth with cylindersculped cylindersculped cylinder

Do you think there is a better way to do this?

Best

Tobias

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Sorry, there's no way to add additional control handles in AddTube.

But you can use another tool:

If you create a tube in CombineMode "NewObject" you get a new object with 3 face groups (two circular groups at the ends and the lateral surface)

SELECT the lateral surface double clicking it (maybe one end group too).

This selected run Deform/Wrap. Here a double click on the selected surface creates a red sphere which is a control point for the selected area. You can add as many control points as needed (but start with only a few to understand the tool's behaviour). Now click and drag and drag the spheres to modify the shape of the tube.

Finally run BooleanDifference.

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 3 of 3

I do think there is a better way. Here is how i would do it,  go to meshmix, import a cylinder put 2mm then uniform scaling, stretch it and elongate it. I would then select an area on its surface, smooth boundary and accept then hit transform and stretch the area into my desired length and shape select the cylinder and delete it and remain with the shape i made. Select, erase and fill to make depressions and inflate with the sculpt tools as desired.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report