Community
Meshmixer
Welcome to Autodesk’s Meshmixer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Meshmixer topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a 5mm diameter / 1mm deep hole

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
tuxberg77
1321 Views, 4 Replies

Creating a 5mm diameter / 1mm deep hole

Dear all

I finished my model inside Blender. I now want to use meshmixer to cut hole in the STL to position my magnets. The magnets are 5mm in diameter and 1mm deep. How do I make this type of hole in meshmixer? I know how to bool a hole, but I don't know how to have it the size/deep I need.

Any help?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
hfcandrew
in reply to: tuxberg77

In Meshmixer you use other models to cut away at other models, called Booleans. This would be a boolean difference:
http://help.autodesk.com/view/MSHMXR/2019/ENU/?guid=GUID-355503DE-889B-4168-8398-084F9BBD508B

1) Create a cylinder at the dimensions you want for your hole.

2) Place the cylinder in the object using Transform

3) Click on your main model, then Shift+Click the cylinder

4) Boolean difference

If it goes red and fails, remesh or play around with the settings until it works.

Message 3 of 5
MagWeb

You can also use a MESHMIX  part dropping. This is a nice solution for parts follow the surface they are dropped onto:

1. From MESHMIX/Primitives drag and drop the cylinder to empty space. This generates a new object and switches to Transform where you can set the dimensions of your hole. You want to set SizeX = 5mm, SizeY = 2mm (twice the depth) and SizeZ to 5mm.
  2. SelectAll of that object and run ConvertTo/ConvertToSolidPart. The scene changes to a bright background and in its MakeSolidPart dialog enable MaintainDimensions. Accept.
  3. Now this part is added to MESHMIX/MyParts. From there drag&drop it onto your surface. Set CompositionMode to BooleanSubtract and move it to where you want the hole
  4. Accepting this will automatically generate that hole.

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 4 of 5
tuxberg77
in reply to: MagWeb

Thank you very much... But I didn't understand. I'm sorry.

Please see the images attached. I would like to make a 5mm 1mm deep hole on both cubes faces where my cylinder is. I can't understand how to do that. Once I have done I want to insert a magnet on both parts.

meshmix1.JPG

meshmi2.JPG

Message 5 of 5
tuxberg77

Please note ** I'm able to do boolean and I know how to do boolean **.

What is not clear to me is how to position the cylinder to have two identical cut on both mesh. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report