Community
Meshmixer
Welcome to Autodesk’s Meshmixer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Meshmixer topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

carving into a surface

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
jboyd013
496 Views, 8 Replies

carving into a surface

I am very new to meshmixer. I want to carve designs into a surface, but so far, all I have seen is too large scale for what I want. I want to be able to put a celtic knotwork pattern carved into the surface of my object. Something like this image. Is this something that can be done with meshmixer? I am picturing drawing the pattern and somehow attaching it to my object and raising up the pattern. Thanks and forgive me if this is a dumb question. celtic border.jpg

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
fred_dot_u
in reply to: jboyd013

Your goal is something that can be accomplished by using another program. You'd want to have your file in vector format (Inkscape to SVG) and convert it to an extrusion. One can do this with Fusion 360, OpenSCAD and other similar programs. If you'll be using Fusion 360, the entire project can be accomplished in the one program. Depending on the base object, the same can be said of OpenSCAD and likely any of the other "extrude SVG" programs available.

If you don't want to work on converting the JPG file you've attached (too low resolution), consider to search "celtic border SVG" for a suitable version from which to begin.

Message 3 of 9
MagWeb

While vector based processing will give cleaner shapes one can work with pixel images too if you use it as a depth map. Each grey value of a pixel in the image represents a certain depth. E.g.: Black = max extrusion and white = no extrusion.

Going that route you might edit your source image in some common pixel graphics application.

There are many applications out there converting an image to a mesh (or you write some Python code to do this and add it in MM using mmApi as I did).Ohne Titel.jpeg

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 4 of 9
jboyd013
in reply to: fred_dot_u

Thanks! That looks promising. The picture I uploaded was just an example. I will create my own pattern and make sure I scan it in higher resolution.

Message 5 of 9
jboyd013
in reply to: MagWeb

That looks exactly like what I would like to do.

Message 6 of 9
fred_dot_u

If you plan to create a new image, consider to use a vector editing program. Inkscape is free and runs on multiple platforms, while Adobe Illustrator is not free, but if you have it installed, it works too.

As your objective is to create a 3D printable object, if you are comfortable with coding, OpenSCAD is also free and multi-platform and can be used to create the end project, starting from the ground up.

Creating a bitmap image and moving to vector form and then to 3D form is less than ideal, but as noted in the other posts, certainly possible.

Message 7 of 9
jboyd013

Right now I was planning on drawing it on paper and then scanning it. Do
you have any hints about that? I haven't really looked but I think the
scanner can save it in several different formats.

Message 8 of 9
fred_dot_u

Your post states that you plan to carve the design into a surface. Do you mean you have a non-computer method such as chisels, or are you using a CNC device?

Message 9 of 9
jboyd013

I am trying to make miniatures with a 3d printer.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums