Community
Meshmixer
Welcome to Autodesk’s Meshmixer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Meshmixer topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Import OBJ Error

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
mike.oneill8JL7A
2459 Views, 8 Replies

Can't Import OBJ Error

I am trying to import a 350K poly Obj file into meshmixer but it crashes every time. The Obj was created in Artec Stuido 13 if that has any impact. It appears to crash during the parsing stage of import. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the latest version all to no avail. I'm on windows 10 have 16gb ram and 3GHz processor.

Any help would be appreciated

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
MagWeb
in reply to: mike.oneill8JL7A

Can you import the default bunny (that's an obj too)?

If yes, there something wrong with the specific file you're trying to import...

Did you try the advice given at MM'S FAQs?

If you try a fresh installation: Get rid of meshmixer.ini (it will not be changed on a new installation) and also of the autosaves in your meshmixer directory.

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 3 of 9
mike.oneill8JL7A
in reply to: MagWeb

Hi thanks for that info I followed the procedure and had completed a full uninstall and reinstall including removing all the autosaves and .ini File however I still have the same issue. I can import the bunny but the file I am trying to open can be opened in other programmes eg photoshop, 3dbuilder, mixed reality viewer but not meshmixer.

I tried it on a different machine same problem though. I then re-exported the mesh from Artec Studio this time with texture and it did open in meshlab. Is this a known issue, do objs have to have a texture to open in meshlab, noting though that the bunny does not?

Message 4 of 9
MagWeb

Are we talking about Meshlab or Meshmixer?

No, an .obj should not need a texture to load properly.

Basically there are more sources of error importing a textured .obj .

Can you upload some not loading example file? A small snippet is enough.

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 5 of 9
mike.oneill8JL7A

My apologies for the slow response, it is Meshmixer and also I can't seem to attach a file for reference. I have attached the error windows though I doubt they will be of much use. Is it possible to load an OBJ file to this forum.

Thanks

error window.JPGerror window 2.JPG

Message 6 of 9
MagWeb

In general .obj is an accepted format here. But your file(s) might be too big. In this case you might use some file hosting service and post (or send via PM) the link.

If your file loads with texture you might drag the Phong shader (left sphere in the topmost row) from SHADERS onto the object. This hides (but keeps) the texture and you see geometry only. To see the texture again drag a world sphere from SHADERS onto the object again.

If you want to get rid of the texture totally (e.g. you want to do a monochrome print later on) export the loaded file from MM to some format not supporting textures (e.g. STL) and reimport that file to MM replacing the scene.

That's a solution if that import error occurs on a very special file only.

However if it's a general Artec-to-MM handshake issue we should track it down...

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 7 of 9
mike.oneill8JL7A

Hi thanks for your reply. Yep I can work with the textured model which is great, so a simple and ongoing solution but it does appear that there may be an issue between Artec and MM and an in-textured model. I still can't seem to attach and OBJ (less than 1mb) so here is a link to a file share.

https://tepapa-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/mike_oneill_tepapa_govt_nz/EoWpG1axutBPunJ3gMYQBRwBY...

Thanks

Message 8 of 9
MagWeb

Found it, thanks for your files.

The issue is that your Artec-generated files call a material definition (.mtl file) but don't set a path (that doesn't make any sense):

Ohne Titel 2.jpeg

e.g. that line should be something like :" mtllib  something.mtl"

This very case is an exception MM doesn't handle (other apps might). MM handles if it can't find the .mtl but it needs a path to look for.

Now on a non textured mesh you might open the file with some text editor , delete that line and save. > MM will load properly using its default material.

Since that line doesn't make any sense without a .mtl (which is needed to link to a texture or transfer certain material definitions) you might contact Artec. Seems to be a bug at their .obj export (without texture)

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 9 of 9
mike.oneill8JL7A

Excellent thanks for that, I will pass the info onto Artec.

Great work Magweb

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums