Community
Meshmixer
Welcome to Autodesk’s Meshmixer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Meshmixer topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can I reverse-engineer a Voronoi object?

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
687 Views, 1 Reply

can I reverse-engineer a Voronoi object?

What I'd like to do is take an STL of a Voronoi shape and generate  a thin "shell" of the original object, ending up with an object which still has the Voronoi pattern but with a "lining" rather than open-air.  Final product similar to voronoi-tea-light-shade-36071 at myminifactory.  

To be clear -- I don't have the original shape, just Voronoi STLs from various online archives. 

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
MagWeb
in reply to: Anonymous

A possible workflow depends much on the overall shape of the voronoi object:

If it's convex  all over (like an egg) or convex and planar (like a cylinder) e.g:

- SelectAll (Ctrl+A or Cmd+A on MAC)

- Run Edit/FitPrimitive and set its PrimitiveType to ConvexHull (CreateNewObjects checked)

- Run MakeSolid on this hull object and set its SolidType to Accurate. Accurate enables the OffsetDistance slider. Pull it down a bit and hit update. You want to get a result intersecting but showing the voronoi object. If needed adjust the offset. Finally accept.

- Now activate both the voronoi and the MakeSolid result and run BooleanUnion

- Show the FitPrimitive object again (MakeSolid did hide it before) and run MakeSolid again in Accurate mode. Now set a slightly bigger offset as you did before. The difference will determine the "lining's" thickness. Accept

- Activate the BoolleanUnion result first and the last MakeSolid result and run BooleanDifference to get a hollow object. You might use another intersecting object to bool-off an opening the bottom.

Harder but doable with a different workflow on an voronoi object owning concave regions...

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report