Community
Meshmixer
Welcome to Autodesk’s Meshmixer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Meshmixer topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on alternate software for large meshes

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
nkloski
393 Views, 3 Replies

Advice on alternate software for large meshes

Hi all!  I am very proficient with Meshmixer, and work mostly on 3D scan cleanup.  I have a project in front of me where I am post processing scans that are 1GB+ of artworks and I cannot get the file size down to something smaller without losing critical detail.  Meshmixer starts to lag on these larger meshes where tools like Blender seem to be more performant.  Except, Blender does not have the tools MM has for working with STL's.  Does anyone have any analogous software (paid or free) that they use that comes close to MM's tools?  I use these most often, as I describe them in MM's terms:

-paint select regions on mesh

-shape aware bridging (Ctrl-B)

-Smooth Boundary

-Sculpting tools

-Something like the Robust Smooth tool with the sliders turned almost all of the way up to "zipper" close open areas of two sides of a mesh (I swear this tool is magic sometimes)

Thank you!

Nick Kloski
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
MagWeb
in reply to: nkloski

Hi Nick,

just a hint dealing with heavy meshes in MM:

By default MM saves an autosave.mix each minute which stresses the system on big file sizes.

You can set the autosave interval editing meshmixer.ini in a text editor while MM is down.

In the [Options] section you'll find:

AutoSaveIntervalSeconds=60

E.g.: Replace 60 by 300 and save the file > MM will write a copy each 5 minutes

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 3 of 4
nkloski
in reply to: MagWeb

Thank you...that did help a bit for periodic performance issues.  I would love to see MM enhanced, or find another tool that can work on truly large meshes.  It seems like other tools are just great at the Sculpting aspect, but the mesh repair and hole filling tools in MM just can't be found anywhere else.

The latest version of Artec Studio actually does some of these things.  You can create shape aware bridges inside of holes, then fill those resulting smaller holes, which is nice.  The smoothing brush in AS18 is "ok" but not as tunable as in MM or other more dedicated sculpting software.

Nick Kloski
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 4
MagWeb
in reply to: nkloski

think my hint isn't a solution... just something to handle default issues...

Same here... looking for a MM substitute.

You might monitor  NomadSculpt  for  sculpting which should publish a desktop version soon.

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report