Community
Meshmixer
Welcome to Autodesk’s Meshmixer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Meshmixer topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Absolute Beginner - Select Tool

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
2462 Views, 5 Replies

Absolute Beginner - Select Tool

Trying to paint with the select brush, as soon as I click on the model it pops into a triangle pre select. Can't paint with it. What am I doing wrong?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
MagWeb
in reply to: Anonymous

SELECT isn't meant to do some painting with color. If you actually want to paint you need to use SCULPT instead. There's a paint brush in the Volume brushes toolset as well as in the surface brushes.

Note: You need to select a Color (by default it's white) before painting.

Note2: To see this surface color you need to set the MeshColorMode to VertexColor. You can set this in Preferences as well as via the Hotbox (press Space on your keyboard > Hotbox pops up >   In its Color section activate (dark means active) the blue sphere)

SELECT is just a triangle selection highlighting the selection in orange. There's a brush selection where you can click and drag the brush on the surface > triangles inside the brushes radius get selected (orange). Doing several clicks with the first click in empty space you can define a polygon (red line) > all faces inside that polygon get selected. Similar to this is clicking in empty space and keeping the left mouse button pressed > you'll draw a freehand "curve" and all faces within that curve get selected. Doesn't that work?

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: MagWeb

Trying to learn how to create separate stl's for color printing. Most videos show using the select tool to brush paint an area. Looking for good tutorials. My first attempt is a large rectangle that I want to cut into a checkerboard pattern. The select tool does not paint an area, just locks onto triangle shapes.

I have another object, a cylinder connected to a rectangle. I can brush select on the cylinder, but when I touch the rectangle it auto selects blocks.

I can do the freehand, but it appears I have to start in empty space. Trying to figure out how to create shapes, specifically squares and rectangles, that can be cut out for color printing.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

Know the problem, but not the solution. The area in question is one big triangle in wireframe. Now I need to figure out how to create lotsa more triangles in wireframe ....

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

Sooooo now I am learning about remesh ....

Message 6 of 6
MagWeb

Yep, Remesh is the right tool to increase mesh density globally.

There are also tools which split faces without need to remesh (BTW: Hit W to show/hide the wireframe):

STAMP splits the faces hit by the stamps boundary. So you can inscribe a 2D shape on a single target face too.

EDIT/PlaneCut inCutType=SliceGroups splits the faces along a cutting plane

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report