Announcements
IMPORTANT. Forum to be archived in several phases. You can no longer submit new questions - but can only answer existing threads until Oct 17th 2016. Please read this message for details
Mechanical Desktop (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insert constraint / bent part

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
bill81
2965 Views, 12 Replies

Insert constraint / bent part

I am trying to constrain a circular hole in a square bracket to a hole in a cylinder that was formed by the bend command.

After the part was bent, I can't select the hole in the bent part for the insert constraint. When I suppress the bend feature and constrain the bracket and the cylinder, it works fine. When I unsuppressed the bend, the constraint fails.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bill
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: bill81

I am assuming that you are positioning the hole before the bed, for the sake of machining the parts needed. Is it possible to place the hole after the bend, for the sake of the assembly diagram? If you place the hole after, then you can use the face of the cylinder and the axis of the hole for constraining the parts together. Brian "bill81" wrote in message news:32793186.1112636593127.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... >I am trying to constrain a circular hole in a square bracket to a hole in a >cylinder that was formed by the bend command. > > After the part was bent, I can't select the hole in the bent part for the > insert constraint. When I suppress the bend feature and constrain the > bracket and the cylinder, it works fine. When I unsuppressed the bend, > the constraint fails. > > Any ideas? > > Thanks, > Bill
Message 3 of 13
bill81

Brian:

I will give that approach a shot. I was hoping there was another way since it is going to be a bit cumbersome to transfer the locations of the holes from the flat pattern to the bent part.

Thanks,
Bill
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous

I think the reason you cannot select the hole in the bent part is as suggested, the hole was put in prior to bending so in the bent shape it is no longer a round hole but an oval. You could try putting in an addational part that is in the same position the hole is in and then constaraining the bracket to that instead. A work around that is not clean but will accomplish what you need to do. Steve R "bill81" wrote in message news:32793186.1112636593127.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > I am trying to constrain a circular hole in a square bracket to a hole in a cylinder that was formed by the bend command. > > After the part was bent, I can't select the hole in the bent part for the insert constraint. When I suppress the bend feature and constrain the bracket and the cylinder, it works fine. When I unsuppressed the bend, the constraint fails. > > Any ideas? > > Thanks, > Bill
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous

I think I would use a Mate to a Workpoint, plus an additional constraint. It wouuld help to post the part so we can see exactly what you are trying to accomplish. Dennis Steve Reinisch wrote: >I think the reason you cannot select the hole in the bent part is as >suggested, the hole was put in prior to bending so in the bent shape it is >no longer a round hole but an oval. You could try putting in an addational >part that is in the same position the hole is in and then constaraining the >bracket to that instead. A work around that is not clean but will accomplish >what you need to do. > >Steve R > > >"bill81" wrote in message >news:32793186.1112636593127.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > > >>I am trying to constrain a circular hole in a square bracket to a hole in >> >> >a cylinder that was formed by the bend command. > > >>After the part was bent, I can't select the hole in the bent part for the >> >> >insert constraint. When I suppress the bend feature and constrain the >bracket and the cylinder, it works fine. When I unsuppressed the bend, the >constraint fails. > > >>Any ideas? >> >>Thanks, >>Bill >> >> > > > > -- Dennis Jeffrey, Inventor 9 Professional user Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert Autodesk Product Consulting and Training Omicron Electronics - Center for Design Excellence http://www.omicronmi.com http://www.design-excellence.com 260-312-6188
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous

I tried using the workpoint method with the hole in the bet part. When you bend the part, the workpoint remains on the sketchplane. This is also true if you try using a work plane or a work axis. Sorry I don't have any better ideas Brian "Dennis Jeffrey" wrote in message news:425495f0_2@newsprd01... I think I would use a Mate to a Workpoint, plus an additional constraint. It wouuld help to post the part so we can see exactly what you are trying to accomplish. Dennis Steve Reinisch wrote: I think the reason you cannot select the hole in the bent part is as suggested, the hole was put in prior to bending so in the bent shape it is no longer a round hole but an oval. You could try putting in an addational part that is in the same position the hole is in and then constaraining the bracket to that instead. A work around that is not clean but will accomplish what you need to do. Steve R "bill81" wrote in message news:32793186.1112636593127.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... I am trying to constrain a circular hole in a square bracket to a hole in a cylinder that was formed by the bend command. After the part was bent, I can't select the hole in the bent part for the insert constraint. When I suppress the bend feature and constrain the bracket and the cylinder, it works fine. When I unsuppressed the bend, the constraint fails. Any ideas? Thanks, Bill -- Dennis Jeffrey, Inventor 9 Professional user Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert Autodesk Product Consulting and Training Omicron Electronics - Center for Design Excellence http://www.omicronmi.com http://www.design-excellence.com 260-312-6188
Message 7 of 13
bill81

Dennis:

Thanks for your interest in my problem. Attached is a simplified version of my part. It was done in MDT 2005. I am trying to constrain the hole in the square bracket to the hole in the bent part.

As a workaround I used the 3d align method. I know that this is not the "right" way to do it, but I did get it to work.

I have not tried this in inventor, but I am going to give it a shot. This is more for my curiosity since we don't have inventor at work. I am taking a class right now in inventor and I bought the student version.

Thanks again,
Bill
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous

Bill,
Here's one way.
Ray
wrote in message news:4811605@discussion.autodesk.com...
Dennis:

Thanks for your interest in my problem. Attached is a simplified version of
my part. It was done in MDT 2005. I am trying to constrain the hole in the
square bracket to the hole in the bent part.

As a workaround I used the 3d align method. I know that this is not the
"right" way to do it, but I did get it to work.

I have not tried this in inventor, but I am going to give it a shot. This
is more for my curiosity since we don't have inventor at work. I am taking
a class right now in i
nventor and I bought the student version.

Thanks again,
Bill
Message 9 of 13
bill81

Ray:

Can't open your file. Preview shows up OK, but I get a drawing file not valid error.

I have MDT2005 SP1.

Bill
Message 10 of 13
Anonymous

Probably nntp problem, I'll see if I saved it and will repost from web side.
Ray

wrote in message news:4813020@discussion.autodesk.com...
> Ray:
>
> Can't open your file. Preview shows up OK, but I get a drawing file not
valid error.
>
> I have MDT2005 SP1.
>
> Bill
Message 11 of 13
Anonymous

See if this one works.
Ray
Message 12 of 13
bill81

Ray:

That is a clever solution, I like it. I will have to try and figure out how to to apply the concept to more than one bracket and hole pair.

Thanks,
Bill
Message 13 of 13
billandbenwww
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

I appologise for my ignorance, it's my first time on this forum.  I've looked through the forum guidelines and couldn't find an answer to the reason why i can't see the 'one that works' that Bill81 thought was a clever solution.  

I'm having a similar problem I think with a bent part I extruded with the holes already made in the sketch so they kept their 'roundness' when the part was bent but now have become integrated as a whole with the bent part so I cannot select the axe of the hole in order to constrain my screw in it. See jpeg

Any help would be appreciated.

Bill

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report