Community
Maya Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pref Pass in Arnold

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
pixelmonk
13085 Views, 4 Replies

Pref Pass in Arnold

What's the correct hook up for the Pref pass for Arnold?    I'm trying to get an object position reference.  I  tried aiUserDataVector > aiUtility and then applied that to the Pref AOV.   I then turned on the export tangents and reference tangents for the objects.  It looks like that method shows any object on a particular angle to have the same RGB values.  For instance, two boxes stacked in Y will show the same pink on one angle and blue on another angle (side).   That doesn't seem to right though?  It should be an Object XYZ, so even stacked boxes should have different values?  I can't find any tangible information on using the Pref pass to extract positional data as a utility pass for Arnold.

Also, if there is a way, can it be less laborious than finding each and every object and turning off their export tangents (or is that a scripting thing I need to do)?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Stephen.Blair
in reply to: pixelmonk

Hi

Pref is in world space. 

And it's a builtin AOV so you wouldn't apply anything to it. 

It's been awhile, but I think you can get object space positions with the Sampler and feed that into a custom AOV.

You could use the Attribute Spreadsheet to bulk edit Ai Export Tangents

// Stephen Blair
// Arnold Renderer Support
Message 3 of 5
pixelmonk
in reply to: Stephen.Blair

yeah that seemed to work.    I piped a samplerInfo >  Point OBJ > to Color of a aiUtility and then applied that as a shader for a custom AOV.   Thanks!

Message 4 of 5
NandoStille
in reply to: pixelmonk

To get the "Pref" AOV working, create a "Texture Reference Object"

To create a Texture Reference Object

Message 5 of 5
yogi
in reply to: Stephen.Blair

Hi,

I'm running into this issue as well in Arnold 5. I've done the suggested fix above and it seems to work on animated but non-deforming objects. Anything that is rigged or animated with a deformer will deform out of the object space colors of the P pass. Is this something that should work with this solution or is there another workflow that can make a Pref pass work on deforming objects? Any advice would really help!

Thanks,

-Connor

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report