Community
Maya Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mtoa plugin don't load (Maya 2018)

28 REPLIES 28
SOLVED
Message 1 of 29
danilopeixoto8
33332 Views, 28 Replies

Mtoa plugin don't load (Maya 2018)

Mtoa plugin don't load in Maya 2018. Some attempts and certifications have already been made based on other posts related to the error "initializePlugin function failed (mtoa)":

1. Processor supports SSE 4.1/4.2.
  2. Plugin manager finds mtoa module.
  3. Maya and mtoa were reinstalled.
  4. PyMEL log file was deleted.

Output:

evalDeferred "shaderBallRendererMenuUpdate";
// Warning: line 1: filePathEditor: Attribute 'aiStandIn.dso' and label 'Standin' have been registered already. // 
// Warning: line 1: filePathEditor: Attribute 'aiStandIn.dso' and label 'Standin' have been saved already. // 
// Warning: line 1: filePathEditor: Attribute 'aiImage.filename' and label 'Image' have been registered already. // 
// Warning: line 1: filePathEditor: Attribute 'aiImage.filename' and label 'Image' have been saved already. // 
# Error: file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2018/scripts/others/pluginWin.mel line 290: AttributeError: file C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2018\bin\python27.zip\ctypes\__init__.py line 383: function 'AiMetadataStore' not found # 
# Error: file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2018/scripts/others/pluginWin.mel line 290: AttributeError: file C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2018\bin\python27.zip\ctypes\__init__.py line 383: function 'AiMetadataStore' not found # 
import arnold
// Error: Failed to import python module 'arnold' // 
// Error: file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2018/scripts/others/pluginWin.mel line 290: initializePlugin function failed (mtoa) //

Note: Maya 2017 was loading the plugin perfectly before.

28 REPLIES 28
Message 2 of 29

Which version of Arnold are you trying to load, and is it the one included with the installer?

Always looking to solve problems, if I'm helpful at all consider dropping a kudos!

Message 3 of 29

Yes, mtoa 2.0.1 included with Maya 2018 installer. I've been trying to install that same version (standalone) from Solid Angle website too, but that still doesn't work.

Note: Maya student version.

Thanks for replying.

Message 4 of 29

Thanks for the info, Dani.

By any chance did you import your preferences from 2017 into 2018 when you first launched the app? I don't think there's anything wrong with the installers provided by Autodesk and Solid Angle (and you've tried both).

Just for kicks, could you reset your Maya 2018 preference? If that doesn't work maybe @sean.heasley can put in a bug request for review as students don't have the ability to. Just rename the folder here:

C:\<User>\Documents\maya\2018\prefs

Always looking to solve problems, if I'm helpful at all consider dropping a kudos!

Message 5 of 29

I don't have Maya 2017 preferences anymore and resetting Maya 2018 preferences didn't work too. I think that is a problem with python ctype on the aiMetadataStore function definition added to Arnold 5.

Message 6 of 29

Well, you seem to have more than idea than I do! I'm not an Arnold user so my knowledge of what they added is limited 🙂

Apologies that I'm not able to provide more help. Maybe an employee such as @Stephen.Blair from Solid Angle can provide more insight.

Message 7 of 29

I appreciate your help.

Message 8 of 29

AiMetadataStore is new in Arnold 5.0.1

You've probably got an older MtoA or Arnold somewhere in your PATH, or in some other environment variable.

I'd check the environment by running system( "set" ) in Maya.

If that doesn't show the problem, then check with Process Monitor; you'll probably see something from an older MtoA being loaded. 

// Stephen Blair
// Arnold Renderer Support
Message 9 of 29

I just realized a weird line in Maya Script Editor output. How can I fix it? ai.dll was loaded from another directory: C:\solidangle\ktoa\bin. Why is mtoa using KTOA_HOME (Katana Arnold path) to load plugin for Maya?

ai.dll loaded from non standard location C:\solidangle\ktoa\bin

# Error: file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2018/scripts/startup/autoLoadPlugin.mel line 35: AttributeError: file C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2018\bin\python27.zip\ctypes\__init__.py line 383: function 'AiMetadataStore' not found # 
# Error: file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2018/scripts/startup/autoLoadPlugin.mel line 35: AttributeError: file C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2018\bin\python27.zip\ctypes\__init__.py line 383: function 'AiMetadataStore' not found # 
import arnold
// Error: Failed to import python module 'arnold' // 
// Error: file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2018/scripts/startup/autoLoadPlugin.mel line 35: initializePlugin function failed (mtoa) // 
updateRendererUI;
// Warning: file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2018/scripts/others/supportRenderers.mel line 64: The renderer "arnold" used by this scene, is not currently available. The "mayaSoftware" renderer will be used instead.

Message 10 of 29

Thanks. I removed "%KTOA_HOME%/bin" from my PATH environment variable and mtoa was able to load successfully.

Message 11 of 29

I had the same problem with MtoA not loading on Maya 2018.  The cause for me was some windows environment variables I had added to support alShaders in Maya 2017, I think it was sending the system to the wrong python script.  I delete them and it worked.

Message 12 of 29

hi

i have the some problem, what exacly to do, can you write instruction please?

Message 13 of 29

Do you have other versions of Arnold installed in the system?

The latest issues were solved by removing the system path variables pointing to the "bin" folder of other Arnold installation directories. Maya needs to load the dynamic library and scripts from the correct MtoA installation files.

If the system has path variables pointing to other installations, Maya may be trying to load the plugin with the wrong files.

Message 14 of 29
s29162804
in reply to: danilopeixoto8

please help download this mtoa.mll
Trying to download this pops up:
// Error: file: 😧 /maya/Maya2019/scripts/others/pluginWin.mel line 289: A failure occurred in the dynamic link library (DLL) initialization program. (mtoa)

Message 15 of 29
danilopeixoto8
in reply to: s29162804

Are you trying to update the Mtoa plugin installed in Maya 2019 by default?

Message 16 of 29
s29162804
in reply to: danilopeixoto8

I am trying to connect arnold to maya.
Message 17 of 29

Where we can find %KTOA_HOME%/bin and environment path?

Message 18 of 29

Editing Windows path variables:

1. On the Windows desktop, right-click My Computer.
  2. In the pop-up menu, click Properties.
  3. In the System Properties window, click the Advanced tab, and then click Environment Variables.
  4. In the System Variables window, highlight Path, and click Edit.
Message 19 of 29

i Cant find %KTOA_HOME%/bin

the path in environment variables only has

%INTEL_DEV_REDIST%redist\intel64_win\compiler;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static;C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Autodesk\Backburner\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\;C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVIDIA NvDLISR;C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD\ATI.ACE\Core-Static

Message 20 of 29

Could you show the terminal output?

Did you install Arnold and MtoA plug-in in the default path (C:\solidangle\mtoa)?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report