Community
Maya Programming
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya SDK topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2023 crash on pymel import, missing docs...?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Bob.Bon2000
1866 Views, 5 Replies

2023 crash on pymel import, missing docs...?

Hey

# # OSError: Cannot find maya documentation. Expected to find it at C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2023\docs\Maya2023\en_US
import pymel.core as pm

Any idea how to fix/skip this? Its throwing mayor havoc over here. Either where can I get the docs, or how can I skip this error. Its stopping entire pipeline here.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
zewt
in reply to: Bob.Bon2000

That happens if PyMEL doesn't have data cached for 2023.  It should already have it if you're running the version of PyMEL that Maya installs.  If you've installed PyMEL manually in the past with pip then you'll need to use pip to update that copy.

Message 3 of 6
Bob.Bon2000
in reply to: zewt

@zewt Thanks for reply!

Maya 2023, does not come with any pymel. It offers to install it for me, which I did. But it did not download these doc files/etc.

How do I fix this? 

Autodesk changed how they ship pymel back in eee 2020? Or 2021, ever since they did that there were problems. feels like massive regression of stability ‌‌

Ok I've gone with

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2022/ENU/Maya-Scr....

```mayapy -m pip install "pymel>=1.2.,<1.3."```

Looks like the defaultt ver that installs is wrong one, ehhh

Message 4 of 6

What else did you have to do in order to get this working?

I have Maya 2023.2 installed, I tried to first uninstall the current version "mayapy -m pip uninstall pymel" and then install a lower version usign "mayapy -m pip install "pymel>=1.2.,<1.3."" but it defaulted to a cached version of 1.3.0a2, so I tried "mayapy -m pip install "pymel>=1.2.,<1.2.9" --no-cache-dir" and then it installed 1.2.0 instead. Then I restarted Maya and I rebooted the computer but it still doesn't work. When I try "import pymel.core as pm" in the script editor I still get "Cannot find maya documentation. Expected to find it at C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2023\docs\Maya2023\en_US"
Message 5 of 6
amaterasu-qbb
in reply to: Bob.Bon2000

The same problem is happening to me, with Maya 2024. And the compatible version is 1.4.0. What should I do?

Message 6 of 6
davedub
in reply to: amaterasu-qbb

[EDIT]  For anyone with the same issue, the steps here solved it for me:

https://www.autodesk.com/support/technical/article/caas/tsarticles/ts/6gfZgdPquwZ2qCVxfAkb1n.html

I'm getting the same with Maya 2024:

Cannot find maya documentation. Expected to find it at C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2024\docs\Maya2024\en_US

I installed PyMel to Maya 2024 using the cmd:

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2024\bin>mayapy -m pip install --user pymel 

I have Maya 2023 installed with PyMel 1.4. The 2023 version has been running fine. Is this a versioning issue? Anyone got any ideas?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report