Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scale Tool Scaling entire object Instead of Selection

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
regan3
2657 Views, 3 Replies

Scale Tool Scaling entire object Instead of Selection

I am having some really frustrating behaviour with the scale tool. I am trying to build a soda bottle using this video as a reference. At around 2 minutes in the video, the guy selects the top edge, extrudes it out, presses W to get to the move tool and moves the extrusion upwards. That doesn't work for me but the default manipulators that appear with the extrude tool work. However, he then uses the scale tool on that same edge selection and makes the edge smaller. When I try and scale it inwards my entire bottle resizes instead of just the selection being resized. Any ideas what might fix this issue? If I haven't quite explained it well enough I can give further explanation. 

All I have done so far is make a polygon cylinder and remove the top faces. 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
elliotgascoigne
in reply to: regan3

So he is clicking extrude then pressing W to translate upwards, with the scaling he is holding right click and letting go over 'edge' then just double clicking on the edge to select the edge loop and using the center square in the scale tool manipulator to scale the edge loop alone down. The only thing I can think of that explains why your whole object is scaling is either you haven't selected the edge loop or you have soft selection enabled, what color is the wireframe when you scale? the edge loop should be orange whilst the rest is blue, if its yellow you have soft selection on if its green you have the whole object selected. I don't mean to sound patronizing, I'm just confused as to your situation, apologies if you know all this already.

I hope this helps!

Message 3 of 4
emily.fogerty
in reply to: regan3

You can just push the b key and it will turn off...
Message 4 of 4
fjmatovelle
in reply to: emily.fogerty

Thank you!! Pressing B solved it!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report