Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quality of life issues

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
abagsby
290 Views, 4 Replies

Quality of life issues

So lets talk about may 2017.

I hate to be critical, but Maya has just gotten buggier and buggier the last 3 versions, but I want a better maya so this is my way of giving feedback.

Switching components modes is weird. Some times it doesn't switch at all.  Sometimes it randomly starts activating components on other objects I didn't even have selected. Fix this please, it is very frustrating all the time.

The new hypershade is unstable and crashes maya most of the time. It's also cluttered. Too many windows always open that I don't always need to be. The old hypershaded allowed you to toggle the create tab open and closed, because I only need it when I make new nodes.

The property editor is useless. Every time I try to use it Maya crashes.

Maya 2017 v 3 is out and the UV editor is all new and it all my quick tools now take 3 steps to get to in this right side stacked tool box. Can we get a UV shelf system to allow more UV tools to easily be added to my shelf? I'm into a fan of the right side vertical toolkit. I hated it in 3DS Max, I don't like it in the modeling tool kit. I really don't like it in the UV editor. 

While we're at it please stop converting old maya hot keys from ctrl to cmd on mac. A lot of users bounce between Mac and PC. It very frustrating that my core key modifiers keep changing.

Please consider fixing these issues in future updates.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
trevor.adams
in reply to: abagsby

Hi @abagsby,

With regards to your issues with the new UV Editor, you can enable a Custom Shelf to house all the commands and tools you're used to having in a horizontal layout.  Simply click the View menu in the UV Editor and enable "Custom Shelf".  Now, you can Ctrl+Shift-click any item in the UV Editor menu set to drop it to the Custom Shelf.  And you can right-click in the shelf area to add dividers to keep things organized.  I presented this in a video review of all of what's new in UV editing in Maya 2017 Update 3, here.  After doing that, feel free to hide the UV Toolkit by clicking the option in the Tools menu.  On that note, you can also customize the UV Toolkit by rearranging the sections in the UI - MMB-drag the section headers to move them above or below the others.

Hope that helps...

Trevor Adams

Maya Design Team Manager, Mudbox Designer, Maya Modeling Designer

Twitter | LinkedIn
Message 3 of 5
abagsby
in reply to: trevor.adams

Trevor;
Thank you for the feedback. I will try this out. Sorry for all the negativity. I let my frustrations get the better of me. Good to know about the UV shelf.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.
-- Sincerely
Anthony Bagsby | Computer Animation | Associate Course Director for 3df | Full Sail University
Message 4 of 5
abagsby
in reply to: trevor.adams

Trevor;
Thank you for the feedback. I will try this out. Sorry for all the negativity. I let my frustrations get the better of me. Good to know about the UV shelf.

Message 5 of 5
trevor.adams
in reply to: abagsby

No problem at all 🙂  In my experience, there's always some truth behind any negativity (why would the post exist otherwise?), so it's sometimes up to us to simply search for the things we can act on and the things we can respond to or clarify.  We all want the same thing really - to improve the usability, quality and stability of Maya - so keep telling us what bugs you and we'll keep trying to improve on those things.

Trevor Adams

Maya Design Team Manager, Mudbox Designer, Maya Modeling Designer

Twitter | LinkedIn

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report