Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem about pivot when I extrude edge or face!!! T_T

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
1336 Views, 6 Replies

Problem about pivot when I extrude edge or face!!! T_T

Hello, I seriously need help.. with maya 2016 extension 2.

As you see below, whenever I'm using exturde, the pivot shows in a different type.

How can I change it to usual shape of pivot??

T_T the pivot that shows has only one arrow with square in the middle...

maya2016!!!!!!!.jpg 

Tags (3)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
pshwayka
in reply to: Anonymous

It's because you have symmetry enabled. I think it's a bug.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks! you're totally right...!! 

Tags (2)
Message 4 of 7
brentmc
in reply to: pshwayka

It is not a bug.

If we cannot support an operation symmetrically then it will be blocked because when modeling symmetrically we do not want to allow operations that will break symmetry.

In this case simply disable symmetry or hit W to switch to the move tool to restore full editing functionality.
Brent McPherson
Principle Engineer
Message 5 of 7
pshwayka
in reply to: brentmc

@brentmc wrote:

If we cannot support an operation symmetrically then it will be blocked because when modeling symmetrically we do not want to allow operations that will break symmetry.

Really? Then why does the example below not get "blocked?" It indeed breaks symmetry.

Steps:

1. Create a standard cube. Enable Object X Symmetry.
  2. Select a top edge of the cube and extrude using the handle.
  3. Hit "G" to extrude again and use the handle. Note that symmetry is now broken.

I've also included a screenshot of the same operation using Modo's Edge Extend tool in symmetry mode. Note that it works as expected...

extrude.png

modo.png

Message 6 of 7
damaggio
in reply to: brentmc

Hi Brent, I get the same results and even if the extrude edge is from a valid piece of geometry the manipulator still doesn't show up as it should, thus slowing the modeling process once again instead of speeding it.

Even if a modeler wants to extrude and edge in the wrong fashion, the extrusion symmetry should work and the manipulator should be available, is clearly something to take up with the developing team and finish the tool properly before releasing..

Message 7 of 7
brentmc
in reply to: pshwayka

Yes, that is a bug. Hitting W and using the move tool gives the correct results.

Thanks.
Brent McPherson
Principle Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report