Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to model largescale object without clipping in viewport

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
AasmundHoinSchei
2302 Views, 4 Replies

Need to model largescale object without clipping in viewport

Hello, I need to model a largescale object without viewport clipping. Whats the best approach to do this? 

I tried large clipping values, but it starts to clip when I zoom far away from the object, 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
tony.su
in reply to: AasmundHoinSchei

If it was be clipped from the far, you can set far clip plane bigger. Be careful, you should set near clip plane bigger at same time, or you will find strange display issue.

1.jpg

Tony Su
Product Support
Message 3 of 5
Gary.Belfield
in reply to: tony.su

I was actually just about to post the same question regarding this, which is very helpful to see the response.

To further question best working practices, I was wondering if someone could shine a light on if working to scale in the industry is always best practice or if for large scale scenes they sometimes work in a lower scale.

I was hoping to try some environment modelling, in which one thing I wanted to try was a very large mountain which has quite a lot of detail and characters, the issue is trying to decide if working to scale is relevant or not, as I set my scene to meters, put rough shapes as a guide to the realistic size and as you can imagine the mountain looks absurdly large and was having the clipping issues, which from above I can fix, but just wondering if this is the norm or if I should be downscaling it, the purpose of the project is just to create 3D art but I just wonder if things such as texturing or lighting will negatively affect my scene if I downscale it if they work on realistic parameters.

Many Thanks.

Message 4 of 5

Thanks for your replys. The model Im talking about is the Arecibo Telescope model. I know theres some finished models already but I wanted to try to do it too. I want to avoid scaling issues in UnrealEngine so therefore I need to model it as large as possible. EDIT: I dont know what happened, but now Im able to scale a object without clipping. Heres my camerasettings:

What I did was a clean reinstall of Maya. 

Message 5 of 5
damaggio
in reply to: AasmundHoinSchei

That's good you found the solution.

Please make sure to check as solved issue on both of your posts.

Thanks Aasmund.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report