Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with unfolding Uvs (newbie)

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anathema_
309 Views, 1 Reply

Need help with unfolding Uvs (newbie)

Hey, I'm rather new to Maya and I'm having a bit of trouble doing a project for one of my 3D classes.

The project is to sculpt an animal head on Mudbox, do the topology on Maya to make a lower resolution model, do the Uvs, than go back to Mudbox to make a texture.

My issues is with the Uvs. The teacher gave us specific easy steps on how to do this using an example, but I cannot get them to work. His example was an ape head, so he basically did the ears separately by cutting the edges of a loop, did a plannar in Z, cut edges in the back of the head in a T shape (going down the back of the head and neck), unfolded it and that was it. 

My problem is that I'm doing a doe, so the head and face structure is very different from an ape. When I do what he told us to do, nothing unfold properly and it's kind of a mess. I think what's mostly giving me trouble is that long snout and long neck. Not to mention the ears are completely different as well.

I was wondering if anyone knew how I could unfold the Uvs in similar manner as the teacher, because I'm kind of stuck.

I took some screenshots to provide a visual of what I'm working too.

Thanks in advance

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
sean.heasley
in reply to: Anathema_

Hey @Anathema_ so in general UV mapping is like the dishwashing of 3D modeling, very boring but essential :P. If you can attach the actual model I can try and break it down for you but to quickly summarize you would want to shift select one edge that goes up and down across the does head and then do another one that goes left to right. These are to mark the seams for the texture. I did a quick paint over to mark where I would have the seams. Also you would do the ears separately like your professor did. I know this might be hard to understand just reading it but give it your best shot and if you cant figure it out attach the obj and I'd be happy to give a more in depth break down :).

doe.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report