Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya Texturing Problem

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
kconnelly
555 Views, 4 Replies

Maya Texturing Problem

Hello, I am currently wondering how I could approach a problem I have with texturing a bunch of different quads. What I want to do is texture a bunch of various sized quads and different altitudes and have their textures line up seamlessly (the texture I'm currently using is seamless). However, when I apply my seamless texture onto a quad it does not necessarily line up with the other quads. I want a way to make sure I can line up these textures so they will work seamlessly on instances like this shown below,

elevationWalls.png

and also in cases where quads are different sizes like this.

sizeWalls.png

The only way I would know how to do this is to individually look at each quads size and apply my repeat amount in the material information to fit with its size. However I have a bunch of these quads so doing this would be incredibly inefficient time wise. I have tried looking online for how to do this but since I am self taught I don't seem to have the modeling jargon needed to describe this problem. Anyone know of an easy way to handle this problem?

Thanks for your advice in advance 🙂

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
tjhosking
in reply to: kconnelly

Seems like a UV problem. Is the UV map for both meshes the same? If the UV's are different for each mesh that would explain the difference in texture scale.

Message 3 of 5
kconnelly
in reply to: tjhosking

Yes the UV textures for each mesh are different. I was wondering if there was some way to almost modify the UV's based on the height of the quads and the size of them because it would be very very time consuming to do this for all the quads I have in my scene.

Message 4 of 5
tjhosking
in reply to: kconnelly

If all you're doing is duplicating walls as assumed by the example images you used. I'd suggest just unwrapping one wall, taking that unwrap into photoshop and getting the edges of the seamless texture lined up with your UV's. That way you can duplicate as many walls both horizontally and vertically without any seams. 

Message 5 of 5
kconnelly
in reply to: tjhosking

First of all sorry for this late response, been fairly busy lately.

I can see what you are saying about exporting the UV's and placing my image on in Photoshop but that doesn't work in making the material seamless. It will work in the quads are directly on top of each other or to the side but In my case I need cases when the quads are not even the same size or altitude to have no distortion. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you here but I don't see how I can make this work by applying a material that way. The UV's still get distorted when I resize my quad. If it makes any difference for another idea you may have, I already have a bunch of wall quads in my scene. Because of this I don't want to make one quad and copy that one because it would involve replacing hundreds of walls...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report