Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya Catmull Clark vs 3DsMax TurboSmooth Modifier

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
1091 Views, 4 Replies

Maya Catmull Clark vs 3DsMax TurboSmooth Modifier

Hello everyone , 

I'm using Maya nearly 2 years and i'm creating game assets. For 2 months i'm trying to improve my hard surface modelling skills. Also i'm following Arrimus 3D on youtube. I learn too much from he especially about hard surface modelling.

I have a quick question. I want to use double smooth method in Maya (for creating highpoly mesh from base mesh). I tried Maya Catmull-Clark subdivison type but it gives me bad results. (I just check "preserve hard edges" when do this.) It adds edges correct places (avarage faces) yes , but it holds them flat and break my edge flow / curves. In that case when i add open subdivisions my mesh turns terrible. (broken reflections , hold some edges as hard). Finally i found a solution for it but it steals my time. 

I export my model from Maya and import it in 3DsMax , set Smoothing Groups then add TurboSmooth modifier and import back it to Maya , add details and supported edges , finally add opensubdiv for more polygon.

Is there any knowledge or solution for this issue ? I think i'm not alone. I like Maya and i got so used to it. I don't want to leave Maya.

Here's a example. You can see Maya added edges middle of faces but they all flat. However 3DsMax add optimal edges and they didn't break my flow.

I will very grateful if anyone can help me.

Thanks in advance.
Best Regards

Base meshBase meshMaya Catmull-Clark (flat edges selected)Maya Catmull-Clark (flat edges selected)Maya Smoothing SettingsMaya Smoothing Settings3DsMax TurboSmooth (with clean flow)3DsMax TurboSmooth (with clean flow)

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
mihirsbcc
in reply to: Anonymous

Catmull-Clark , isn't it only effects when you render? I May be misunderstanding you. Did you try Mesh Smooth? and increase the number of iteration?

Message 3 of 5
mihirsbcc
in reply to: mihirsbcc

You can try insert edge loop tool to add manually?

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

No i don't use Maya for renders. There are 2 different method of subdivisions. Open subdivision and Maya catmull-clark. When i use "preserve hard edges" option on smoothing setting it should hold my edges but should not turns flat my curves on mesh. However in 3DsMax when i use "Smoothing Groups" option in turbosmooth tab , it gives me perfect mesh and doesn't make my flows flat. It breaks my high level subdivision

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

I can add edge loops manually for sure but for hard surface models , especially vehicles this is bad way to create. It may cause distortions on mesh

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report