Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2017 displacement to polygons isuue.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
yyaca
2806 Views, 11 Replies

Maya 2017 displacement to polygons isuue.

Hi all,

Each time I try convert displacement to polygons Maya crashes, no matter which render engine I use.

Anybody else encountered this kind of trouble? I always end up with fatal error message.

Maybe there is a workaround out there? Please let me know.

Greetings,

YYaca

BTW: I reported this issue several times with no feedback.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: yyaca

Same issue here

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

fyi - i tried "convert > displacement to polygons with history" and it seems to have worked. still odd that it crashes the other way

Message 4 of 12
misha123

Fatal error. Same issue here going back to 2016.5. Only happening with File Textures. Displacement to Polygons with History doesn't error BUT tessellation is WRONG! So no workarounds Smiley Sad

Message 5 of 12
yyaca
in reply to: misha123

Autodesk Dev Team,

Does anybody of Autodesk team read this topic at all? I sent countless bug reports regarding this problem with no respond!!! Can anyone please just take care of it? Personally I need this function to operative and just can't stand to see the workaround or any kind of fix!!!

Autodesk Dev Team if U reading this post please give a sign that U're alive and are able to react!!! Maybe there is a solution, but without Your help it is just like searching the void for those who don't know where to search. Until now there is no post or comment in this topic so far, even a simple one like: ok guys take it easy we are working on it or we are still investigating the issue, but for now U can do this or that to workaround.

Unfortunately update 1 didn't bring the solution. Problem exists in its original form. Looks like nobody knew it ever existed. Shame.

Please give us a chance to love Maya. Don't push us away and be responsive.

Regards,

YYaca  

Message 6 of 12
yyaca

Edit:

Sorry, but I naively thought that conversion works in conjunction with mental ray so I tested mia materials on it only.

Everything works fine with Maya standard materials (blinn, phong, lambert), but You all should remember to turn off history before doing a conversion.

It is important to delete the history also. And the most important thing is to execute the process via Tessellation tab, disabling Feature displacement check box in Displacement Map tab. If it is ticked on U'll get a crash. To tweak the density of the displaced geometry U should deal  with Max Triangles and Min Screen attributes in Tessellation Attributes tab. So this can be treated as some kind of workaround for now.

Referring to my previous post it doesn't mean that problem disappeared. Opposite needs more care and attention. Things go wrong with Displacement Map tab for p...Shape node.

So for now if anybody needs some help dealing with the process, just let me know.

Cheers,

YYaca 

Message 7 of 12
mspeer

Hi!

I recommend to use a Texture Deformer (Deform -> Texture). You may need to add some subdivisions before applying the deformer, for example with Mesh -> Smooth or Edit Mesh -> Add Divisions, but with this method you can have quads on your model instead of triangles. Also you can tune the subdivision value later for different display and render purposes and you even can animate the value (as long as you don't place nodes on top that produce errors caused by changing topology)

Here is an example with Texture 2D "Grid" as Texture for the Texture Deformer on a Torus.

test_displ.gif

Message 8 of 12
brentmc

Hi YYaca,

I've been informed that the issue is logged and being investigated.

Thanks.

--

Brent

Brent McPherson
Principle Engineer
Message 9 of 12
yyaca
in reply to: brentmc

Thanks guys for staying in touch!!!

1. Good to know somebody cares. Thanks a lot Brent for info.

2. mspeer, thanks for sharing. This method is very useful... and quad output is of course beneficial. Works fine!!!

Once more thanks a lot guys!!!

Take care.

YYaca 

Message 10 of 12
ArthurVatine
in reply to: brentmc

Any news about this issue ? Maya still crash during converting displacement to polygons...

Message 11 of 12
reniferziolo
in reply to: ArthurVatine

same issue here, not solved yet ( all updates installed)

Message 12 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Thats what worked for me. Displacement to polygon with history. Otherwise it crashes.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report