Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feedback wanted for my Assault Rifle tutorial

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
neonface613
486 Views, 3 Replies

Feedback wanted for my Assault Rifle tutorial

Hey so I created this video on how to make a rifle, it's actually the best looking thing ive ever made, and I would like feedback on how to make better tutorials and/or models in general! I have a youtube channel where I pump out quick and easy videos, mainly on maya but also some other programs.

Here it is; https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXPjuEXXn1rAvO7D3FCB_Og

And the video;

I also made a pretty sick SMG video, its rendering right now.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
keith112
in reply to: neonface613

Hi,

Well done taking the time to make the video. I don't have time to watch the whole thing but my first question would be who are you aiming this at? Who is your target audience?

I ask this because if it's beginner modelers then they will be completely lost 25 seconds in. You went from Opening Maya, creating an image plane and then bringing in a cube in about 10 seconds. This seems less a tutorial than watch me make a low poly gun. I don't want that to come off as harsh just what I get from it.

Look at successful online tutorial sites like Lynda.com or Pluralsight. Each video is taking it nice and slow and explaining why and how they're doing something, rather than just saying what they're doing. There is a difference.

Also I'm assuming your making this tutorial for beginners as it's low poly. So try to explain everything as if they know nothing.

Really good start. I would also recommend for your own sanity to break up the videos. That way you can edit them more easily, people can digest them a lot better and you can focus on individual points like....."in this video I'm going to focus on the handle and using the multi-cut tool". 

One last point. White text with a black border can be read on any background. That way you avoid your text being difficult to read like it is 9 seconds in.

keep it up.

Message 3 of 4
neonface613
in reply to: keith112

Thank you so much, I agree, I have been going pretty fast, I am going to start to explain exactly what I am doing and break it up into smaller chunks, I just made another video before I read what you said, and editing it is annoying and its pretty long. It's fine you weren't harsh, it's exactly the advice I needed! I will check out some videos on my lynda account, and yeah, I should fix the text, it's actually edited in windows movie maker, I do have sony vegas but I don't use it much. Thanks so much for the advice, ill make a new video and use your tips!

Message 4 of 4
damaggio
in reply to: neonface613

Neon, it seems you are using a student version for your tutorials, I would recommend taking it down from Youtube since you are violating your software agreement.

Best regards.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report