Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicating Reference and keeping the transforms

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
alex
3948 Views, 3 Replies

Duplicating Reference and keeping the transforms

Hi everyone,

I created about 100 people in my scene, they are being read from 2 reference files. I scattered them around and now need another batch of same people, in the same location. Is there anyway I can duplicate the reference properly? 

Alex

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
blkwmnanimator
in reply to: alex

You would probably be better of "instancing" the models since referencing is always going to bring your objects to 0,0,0.

Message 3 of 4
cornelh
in reply to: alex

@alex

So the difficulty I see is that you want your current objects that live in a referenced scene, yet you have modified their transforms in the file they are being referenced into..  Thus the original file have no notion of those new positions and transforms.  The only possible way (don't recommend in the least) is to then reference that scene (the one with the references) into a new scene..

Refs. with moves.. into new scene.. referenced twice.. This works with most things, yet you are looking for trouble is any of these objects are rigged with overly custom rigs and blendshapes, Also some shaders will break as they can't transfer.  There is more about references and shading in our documentation. I think using instances, and or creating a new saved set?  of that already saved file (import objects from reference) and create a new reference and change the name and use name-space options.

I wish you the best of luck.  

Message 4 of 4
alex
in reply to: cornelh

Yeah...I didn't want to go into instancing, and reference referencing, due to Maya's awesome behavior when it comes to all that 😉

I just ended up duplicating the ref and placing manually, didn't take too much time actually.

Sometimes the long way is the shortest way! 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report