Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boolean tool disappear - similar to other

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
FalconCrest
1500 Views, 11 Replies

Boolean tool disappear - similar to other

I was having some difficulty using the boolean tool, as in, both meshes were disappearing. I froze transformations on both meshes, followed by selecting some faces on the mesh; preformed an extract on those faces.  Then proceeded ahead with a difference boolean, once again both meshes are disappearing ?

From the image it looks as if the cylinder is bleding outside of the plane but it's not 🙂

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
damaggio
in reply to: FalconCrest

Looks like your flat bottom piece is not a closed mesh, they should have thickness.

Message 3 of 12
FalconCrest
in reply to: damaggio

Same result, even when the mesh has thickness ?

Message 4 of 12
damaggio

What's your Maya version?

Message 5 of 12
FalconCrest

2015 SP6
Message 6 of 12
damaggio

Seems like a pretty simple mesh Falcon, actually since 2015 the boolean has been one of the best tools in maya finally and rarely fails even with complex shapes.

Can you try on another scene maybe some different meshes to troubleshoot?

Message 7 of 12
FalconCrest

I take your word for it, I did a simple boolean with a cube and sphere, it worked successfully; what is the problem with the two meshes I need to boolean ?

If required, I can send the two meshes; I don't know what other trouble shooting I can try ?

booleanwork.png

Message 8 of 12
damaggio

Sure, load it right here.
Message 9 of 12
J450NP13

Try selecting the two and hitting conform in the normals tab...also delete history and freeze the transforms sometimes helps get it done.

I would make your open face mesh closed until you get it to work then you can delete the faces you don't want.

The image you posted named thickness...I don't think that will work...It looks like the other mesh is going right through it.....make it so the bottom mesh encompasses the top mesh.

Message 10 of 12
FalconCrest

I exported the two objects a single OBJ; if you should have problems tearing them apart, I can upload the meshes separate ?

Message 11 of 12
damaggio

Mesh is fine Falcon, no problems here, selected the cylinder than the flat piece, boolean difference/Normal.

If u cant make it work than the problem could be something else.

Message 12 of 12
FalconCrest

I imported both objects in a clean scene; it works, something to do with the original scene.

Thanks for your help 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report