Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boolean Difference Trouble

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
2272 Views, 8 Replies

Boolean Difference Trouble

Hi Autodesk community,

I'm having trouble with a boolean difference. The goal is to create bite marks in the watermelon shape. I had already done this successfully once and then added a few revisions. After the revisions were complete i could not seem to get the boolean to work correctly. Any idea what could be cause this to malfunction? It seems as though the watermelon shape is getting erased and the bite mark shape is getting faces reversed. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advanced!.

Best,

Shanwatermelon_error1.JPG

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
mujuningaiza
in reply to: Anonymous

Delete histroy before running boolean

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: mujuningaiza

Thank you, I have done some research on deleting history that will help me in the future but unfortunately it is not the answer to this specific dilemma. The boolean difference still is not working properly. It looks like it is reversing the normals of the object I wanted to use as the difference and is then tearing holes in the side. The object had all faces normal and was water tight before the boolean. Any other suggestions as to what may work?

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

I just tried to boolean union the outside of the watermelon the the inside shape and they both just disappear, why am I having so many issues with this file? Can someone please help?

Message 5 of 9
mujuningaiza

Can you attach a file with object you're trying to perform an operation and leave others? That would be helpful, I told you so as long as I faced it earlier on my working with Maya, so that y I suggested like that.

Another opt I can suggest is trying to reset all preferences or deleting Maya folder in Documents such that Maya will start fresh.

Lymond Ngaiza

Message 6 of 9
mspeer

Hi!

Clean up your watermelon mesh, it contains "bad geometry".

In Modeling Menu: Mesh -> Cleanup (Options: Remove Geometry -> Edges with zero length, "enable").

After this Booleans with Cylinder works.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

Hi Lymond,

Thanks for the continued help. Here is the .mb of just the watermelon before and after my attempt to fix. Ideally this is what i would like the figure to look like after booleans to seal it watertight. I guess let me know what you think would be my best course of action to take in your opinion, thanks again.

Best,

Shane

Message 8 of 9
mujuningaiza

Hey you sent your scene with boolean performed, So what's your request there? Be specific so as we can come with helpful solution

Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

Hmm sorry for the confusion. I just checked the scene and I did leave the already booleaned one in there for reference as to what I did wrong i guess. The watermelon on the left is unbooleaned. I would like to achieve the same result as on the right but still a bit smoother. After looking at my .stl of the booleaned melon on the right in a 3D quick view still see faceting on the face that I need to remove. Any solutions you can think of to achieve this flat surface area around the booleaned shapes?

Just to be clear, I used the multicut tool to create the grid lines you see in the melon to the right.

watermelon_error.JPG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report