Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non-destructive curves

Non-destructive curves

Maya needs a non-destructive curve system.

I need to be able to cut, resample, smooth, offset, etc. and go back to the top level to make edits in real time based on creative feedback.

Furthermore when you make a cut the result is to create X amount of new shape nodes for each new curve element. This is very messy, and I think it's at the root of the problem with curves in Maya. Each entity seems to need it's own shape node.

10 Comments
darioOrtisi
Collaborator

Good to make this as Idea and it took 12 votes right now. Wow.

I'm talking about the workflow related.

When i'm modeling road, based to laserscan, i'm start with construct the external curves. One curve at time, because the new curve doesn't match the span of the first curve i need to solve with this method. 

i'm offsetting the first curve with a distance close to the second curve and with the wiretool i'm attracting the offsetted curve to second curve constructed. This match the position i want and the spans are the same, so i'm lofting in total clean.

This is annoing. All other method to match the first knot, rebuild curve and a lot of other process, doesn't work well like this workflow.

The ability to loft two curves simply is the big one thing to resolve.

klaudio2u
Enthusiast

I'll copy my comment too here just so that people can comment further, 

First and foremost, this has to be a completely new system and NOT an update on top of ancient tech made 15 years ago. Workflow has changed and this new system needs to be built for the future in mind too! Create new system but keep current NURBS curves and surfaces under the hood for compatibility reasons and for a certain amount of time.

When it comes to features here are some ideas but in general, it really needs to be new modern, flexible, robust but user-friendly curves/splines tools that will only be used to work with polygon geometry (no more NURBS) which include:
1 > Generate new as clean as possible geometry - loft, revolve, extrude, sweep, blend, shell, network...etc. For example, that will also work on 90+ degrees turns like every other software on the planet works for over 10 years except in Maya.
2 > Be used on, or to work with already existing geometry in the scene - cut, slice, project, trim, weld vertices towards the projected spline on mesh...etc. 
3 > Possible integration directly in modeling tools which already support curves workflows like Extrude and Bridge but also maybe somehow in Multi-Cut as advanced slice tool where you would be able to create more advanced "polyline" slice or maybe "draw" a primitive (circle, square) slice shape and then press Enter to apply the slice (with option to immediately fill hole after the slice) or add edges to mesh object in that shape. Currently, Multi-Cut can do just a single line slice but it could be much more
then that.
4 > Consider other purposes where splines will be used - MASH, animation, dynamics but also in Sculping (remember that "Future of modeling" video).  Retopology to generate geometry patches could be another useful way to utilize new spline tech, for example, Network, Loft and similar tools can be used as "standalone" tools to generate polygon surfaces but if you use it on a live object then it can act as handy retopo tool too.

Of course, curves need to be used and edited with other curves so:
1 > Robust primitives: Circle, Square, nSide, Helix, polyline, bezier, freehand drawing, arc...etc.
2 > Curves tools which are flexible, easy to use and quick like booleans ops, fillet/chamfer multiple points or/and on separate curves at once, extending curves, blend, offsets, trimming, adding points..etc. 
3 > Curve deformers or modifiers system which would allow you do add curling, noise, smooth, robust optimizations of reducing or adding points (adaptive, uniform, etc). If possible more advanced one that would try to simulate gravity and collisions, self-intersections which would be really cool for cables and thing like that but also other motions graphics purposes. 

Good references are what has been done in 3dsMax lately and Cinema4D did but also software like Moi3D and Fusion360 that would be a great starting point. Look at the strength of all of this software, put it all on the table, add your own and improve and then make something like Splines Toolkit - a robust way to create and edit curves, generate and edit existing geometry with a focus on procedural workflows but with user-friendly interactions which will encourage playing around with it, experiment and feely design.  
All mentioned could be a great start which then can be further improved over time and in the future too by adding more tools, curve (simulation) modifiers and further tight integrations with modeling tools and sculpting, MASH toolkit, XGen, animation workflows and dynamics. The key point is here also to be integrated workflow in Maya and not that it feels like a separate system for which you need some tedious workarounds to be able to work in a certain way, if even possible.

darioOrtisi
Collaborator

I agree with upgrade. But you are missing the autotmotive departmente that need the nurbs modeling, not the poly only. The poly modeling in automotive field is to completion, something to add, but not the only way. Also on Industrial Design.

To make the change consider the file exange stl step that came from other sofwtares that using Nurbs. in maya we can modify the Nurbs.

So ok, upgrade with more funciotnal option and workflow, but don't forget or dismiss the nurbs modeling.

Thanks

trevor.adams
Alumni
Status changed to: Under Review

saintofkickers
Enthusiast

Non Destructive Curves would be fantastic! Curves such powerfull tools that its not acceptable to not have it as sophistaced as possible. And while you are at it please give us one way instances of curves as well just like "duplicate as mesh reference" tool in Bonus Tools for polygons

HasanDiab
Advocate

A 3dsmax spline like tools and modifiers is great a d much better than maya's curves.

And plz make it non destructive workflow w animation abilities. 

Armikrog
Observer

yes pleeease, something like spline in max or c4d.

Actually every other software has better features in this area! Even Photoshop (as a bitmap software) with it's pen tool works better! shame! 

BenediZ
Collaborator

I would call this a part of a needed "construction history" update...which is a major topic.

Please have a look here, too:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/maya-ideas/improve-construction-history/idi-p/7956890

It's also related to overhauling Boolean, Bevel, Blendshape implementation etc...

darioOrtisi
Collaborator

Any news?

It is about a year ago, that the status changed to under review. I'm concerning to my job, and it is critical. We need a new change of direction workflow, but not the software.

Thanks

Lets start  with something already

Maya really needs a roadmap like 3ds max. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report